Second Skin Audio

Help With Rockford Subwoofer

Toxiccasper

Alright I have an older Rockford Fosgate Punch Z 8 inch subwoofer that is Single 4 ohm voicecoil. Its old enough to still have the purple dot on the terminal to represent positive but anyways I was wonder if I can get something to put in like with the subwoofer to drop the ohm load down to 2 ohms so I could get more power to it out of my amp without changing amps. If anyone knows of anything that can do this it will really help like a coil of some kind or something.

Thanks

last i can remember someone asking you can get resistors or something that deals with ohm loads but in order to get more power to the sub the amp has to put out more power to the lower ohm load becase the resistor will take the same amount of power as the sub, so if you have 400 watts at 4 ohm and 600 at 2 ohm and you put a resistor on the sub to make it a 2 ohm load to the amp your sub will only see 300 watts vs the 400 at 4 ohm...so think about it completly before you do it

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

Ya I know I was just wonder it would be so much easier to get another sub but meh this was free so no bother lol

Just figured there might be something with all these new dilly dallys you young whippersnappers are createing these days

But do you think it would work better to use a capasitor instead of a resistor since a capasitor holds and releases power it wouldnt really be taking power from the sub like a resistor would

lol that last question was way over my head lol i havent the first clue, i say wall socket the sub and buy something else that gets to the ohm load you need to get the most from your amp that you have on hand and remember to video tape it so we can see the sub in wall action :lol:

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

Would love to do that but I cant becuz I have NO money so this is my system lol for now. Got the amp, sub, HU all for free and paid $10 for alpine type r component sets so its very very budgeted lol. But thanks for the help anyways maybe when I get a new system Ill wall socket the sub. I did it to a 4 inch boston computer sub becuz I had never done it before and I was curious so I took it out and sat it on the garage floor and it went for about 1-1.5 seconds then the cone inverted where the coil pushed through the cone and then 5 inch flames shot out of the 4 holes in the basket I had to hold myself back from ripping the wires out of my amp and throwin them in the socket lol

Ya I know I was just wonder it would be so much easier to get another sub but meh this was free so no bother lol

Just figured there might be something with all these new dilly dallys you young whippersnappers are createing these days

But do you think it would work better to use a capasitor instead of a resistor since a capasitor holds and releases power it wouldnt really be taking power from the sub like a resistor would

No. It does not work like that. Capacitance has nothing to do with the changing of resistance. Resistors do, hence the term, resistance.

I have heard of people removing intact coils from drivers and mounting them within the enclosure to modify the resistance, however it is not advisable. As the coil itself draws power (as Wigglez posted) and will convert almost 95% of the power to heat energy, you run the risk of setting the enclosure on fire. Not good. Run the amp at four ohm, or find another driver.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Archived