Second Skin Audio

Silicone Sealant

letemrip32

HELP! so i built my first box, i'll post pix of the build later, it's nothing what it's supposed to be, just my first ported box to see what i can do in a day. i dont think it looks TOO bad, I have a jensen XS12 running bridged off of an Alpine 3527S. i know i need a better system in general :( money is tight and this is what i could do for beat till income tax in a few weeks. I used silicone sealant for every edge in the box to seal it, it says wait 24 hours for it to cure, but even after that, it's still not dried!!! WTF did i do wrong!?! It doesn't stink at all, so am i safe to put in my sub? the Sealant is GE Silicone II window and door caulking. did i use the wrong stuff? Also, does anyone know about the Alpine 3527S? I read somewhere that you can bridge it to run 140Watts off 2 channels. IT's a 4/3/2 amp, 4x25. It was said that it's 4x25 at 4ohms or 2x75 with 140x1 at 4 ohms or 2x140 at 4 ohms. doesn't make sense to me, but i'm a noob at this.

First off, you shouldn't use sealant for wood. Its basically rubber and you can't hold wood together with rubber. You need glue.

And i don't know about that particular product, but i know some sealants need to dry in the presence of metal.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

First off, you shouldn't use sealant for wood. Its basically rubber and you can't hold wood together with rubber. You need glue.

And i don't know about that particular product, but i know some sealants need to dry in the presence of metal.

If you shouldn't use silicone sealant for wood, then why are there topics (on this site) about what kinda silicone to use, and how to cure it fast?

Also the tube has an adhesion scale that says wood is a 10 (1 being worst 10 being best)along with metal masontry glass and dry wall/plaster

Archived