Second Skin Audio

2 12s in a 4th order in a trunk???

I am always thinking of different designs for boxes. And i am thinking i might want more port area than this ported box im about to run now. And i like 4th orders. Everyone i know that has one loves them and they work really well. I had a 15 in a 4th order in my trunk before and loved it. other than the port placement. Now i have 2 lvl 4 12s and im thinking about doing a 4th order for them in my trunk. My idea is to make 3 different boxes 2 sealed for the sealed sections for each sub and 1 common ported box for the ported section of the 4th order. Each sealed chamber would be on each side behind the rear wheel well and the ported section would run down the middle of them with a partial internal/external port.

My questions are, whats the best ratios for 4th orders and whats a good tuning frequency for low response? And what a good large port area size? I was thinking close to 20sq inches per cube.

Has anyone done 2 12s in a 4th order in a trunk before?

I would have some measurements to work with but im outa town and my car is back home. :/

Any input or ideas will be great. Especially from ppl who have done a similar set up before.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

ok thanks. thats not exactly what i was thinking but it might work. thanks man. lol

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

I am always thinking of different designs for boxes. And i am thinking i might want more port area than this ported box im about to run now. And i like 4th orders. Everyone i know that has one loves them and they work really well. I had a 15 in a 4th order in my trunk before and loved it. other than the port placement. Now i have 2 lvl 4 12s and im thinking about doing a 4th order for them in my trunk. My idea is to make 3 different boxes 2 sealed for the sealed sections for each sub and 1 common ported box for the ported section of the 4th order. Each sealed chamber would be on each side behind the rear wheel well and the ported section would run down the middle of them with a partial internal/external port.

My questions are, whats the best ratios for 4th orders and whats a good tuning frequency for low response? And what a good large port area size? I was thinking close to 20sq inches per cube.

I would have some measurements to work with but im outa town and my car is back home. :/

Any input or ideas will be great. Especially from ppl who have done a similar set up before.

2:1 ratio will give you a broad curve.

20 per is going to be groundpounder so dont expect big numbers. but itll help get down on the lows. and move air.

tuning thats low for 4th orders is down in the low 40's

wade my box in the truck is tuned to 46

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

2:1 ratio will give you a broad curve.

20 per is going to be groundpounder so dont expect big numbers. but itll help get down on the lows. and move air.

tuning thats low for 4th orders is down in the low 40's

wade my box in the truck is tuned to 46

you know im not competing so im not worried about numbers. lol

Just trying to understand 4th orders. I know there was a good thread made about them a while ago but idk what section it was in. I figured the Enclosure/Subwoofer section but didnt see it. maybe i over looked it.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

Check out the link in my sig for the basics of a 4th order!

Team Xtreme Amperage

Xtreme Audio Innovations

XtremeAudioInnovations.com

Facebook.com/xtremeaudio321

4 linked c notched bagged

Fiberglass door panels (5 speakers per door)

AHHH yes! this is the thread that i was thinking of! thanks man.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

AHHH yes! this is the thread that i was thinking of! thanks man.

No prob what ever I can do to help! I love 4th orders =D every chance I get I'm building one!

Team Xtreme Amperage

Xtreme Audio Innovations

XtremeAudioInnovations.com

Facebook.com/xtremeaudio321

4 linked c notched bagged

Fiberglass door panels (5 speakers per door)