86 jeep alternator ?

Ok got a 1986 Jeep Cherokee with a 2.8l gm V6 from what ive found its a three wire 12si alternator. Is it possible to put on a 200amp one wire 12si alt i found? the other two factory wires would not be used. One for exciting the fields while the other is for a alt dummy light. Is that correct? And if i put this one wire alt on will the dummy light come on? if so whats the easiest way to Bypass aside from pulling bulb out? Thank you all for your help ive learned a lot here and dont plan on stopping anytime soon.

2000 Cavalier 4 door
XS D925
XS D2400
XS D3100
4 runs of 1/0
Mechman 270

2 DD 9515js

you can buy a resistor and wire it to ignition and the other one to constant power, the resistor should be around 500 ohms

if the alternator is the same model and just bigger in amps then you can just wire it to the stock plug

edit: i wouldnt get the one wire alt since if it fails you will get be out of luck finding someone to rebuild it back to one wire. just get the one you can plug up to stock harness or you can even buy a better unit and buy an adapter plug than can make it work

Edited by Miguels

im on a pretty tight budget and found this 200amp one wire that is the same casing as factory for $153. I did find a factory style 3 wire replacement thats 170amp for $190. so do you think it best to just get the 170 for more cause its a 3 wire tying to stay under $200 for the the most i can get. Im not expecting 300amp plus alts for my price but 150-200 should be plenty for what were doing. Anything is better then factory 78amps hahaha Thanks for your suggestion.

i am fairly confident im my wiring skills so if its just a resistor issue thats easy but if its better in the long run with the 3 wire ill run that.

Edited by TCI

2000 Cavalier 4 door
XS D925
XS D2400
XS D3100
4 runs of 1/0
Mechman 270

2 DD 9515js

is it a GM alt? sound like it is. i changed mine from my truck and upgraded to the cs130, if you say your wiring skills are good you should look into getting a new stile alt. the wiring is really simple, i got a pig tail from ebay with a resistor in it for $20 and ran it to ignition, the other one to my distribution block and it charges way better

if you want you can pm me and i can help you with this, changing to newer stile alts is not hard, some even fit where the original alt goes

this is whats on it now except it has a double v belt pully

12si.jpg

and this is a cs130 i could pretty easily install one of these in place would i greatly benefit from this?

cs130.jpg

pics didnt work ill try again

Edited by TCI

2000 Cavalier 4 door
XS D925
XS D2400
XS D3100
4 runs of 1/0
Mechman 270

2 DD 9515js

the only problem would be belt slip since you have v belt, and look at prices on ebay, some newer model claim to do 250a for under $200

newer models offer better cooling, better cooling less failure