Second Skin Audio

How does this box look?

Making 2 more boxes for my single cab Dodge, and its gonna be the last one for awhile but I wanted to make sure that it looked good, and had little or no flaws.

Got 2 Memphis audio street duty 12". The gross volume of the box is 1.69 ft cubed and the port is .11 ft cubed. Tuned to 30.32 Hz

SubBox.jpg

The subwoofer is going on the back side toward the bottom of the box, and the shaded area is the port which is 12" deep.

There is nothing else that is going to be in the box, no braces or anything.

Is it alright? should I brace it at all? Add another baffle? Will it be sufficient if I upgrade my subs later? My friend has 2 kicker cvx 12s and no car so he selling them for 80$ each, probably gonna buy those later on.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Edited by joshywb121

Basshead-in-Training

is the port 8 inches long or 12 inches long? im kinda confused. it says 8 in the drawing and you wrote 12 under it...

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

well you need more port area. its 12square inches for 1.69 cubic feet. you want to look for between 12-16 square inches per cubic foot. if you double the port area (2x12) then you should be good. but that means you have to change some of your other dimensions to get that same air space back. Also why are you tuned soo low? 30hz is a pretty low tuning for a ported box and normal music. I would do 33 or 34. should be plenty low for normal music. if that is what you intend on listening to.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

well you need more port area. its 12square inches for 1.69 cubic feet. you want to look for between 12-16 square inches per cubic foot. if you double the port area (2x12) then you should be good. but that means you have to change some of your other dimensions to get that same air space back. Also why are you tuned soo low? 30hz is a pretty low tuning for a ported box and normal music. I would do 33 or 34. should be plenty low for normal music. if that is what you intend on listening to.

Agreed. Not gonna have enough port area.

Had another box with just about the same dimensions but with an round port and it was at 30 and, I dunno I liked it, seemed to sound ok. But this it what I hate about box calculators, it tells you its tuned to this, but it cant tell you if its right. Anyway if I double the port area as you say (2x8x12) and modify the dimensions to make up for the .11 cubes of port area, will it still be tuned around 35 Hz and sound good?

Basshead-in-Training

Had another box with just about the same dimensions but with an round port and it was at 30 and, I dunno I liked it, seemed to sound ok. But this it what I hate about box calculators, it tells you its tuned to this, but it cant tell you if its right. Anyway if I double the port area as you say (2x8x12) and modify the dimensions to make up for the .11 cubes of port area, will it still be tuned around 35 Hz and sound good?

dang dude i think i miss read your drawing. so in the drawing the port is 1x8x12 12 being the depth going into the box? if this is the case then you really need more port area. lol... umm i'd say 2x12 should be the cut out for the port on the top of the box. and then get the box calc to get your depth into the box.

Also I have seen a couple boxes designed for single cab trucks and most have done well with the port on the side of the box vs. on the top. So i suggest you do this and mount the subs on the oposite side of the box as the port inorder to get full use of the boxes airspace.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU