Sonic Electronix

I have now been through two subs within the past two weeks. They're not being over powered, and the wiring is all done right, professionally installed by a guy with 20+ years of knowledge. He has the gains turned down on the amp, checked the terminals, and tweaked the crossover after putting the second sub in, today. Well within an hour of the new sub ( the sub ) being put in the bass dropped, so I turned the stereo off and immediately, the whole car reeked of burnt electronics. I called the guy who installed it and said he had no idea what would cause it. The amp is a crossfire cfa602 so the sub has plenty of power, but he only has about 150-200 going to the sub since it's rms is rated at 250. what else, the wiring is all brand new from KNUKonceptz, 4 gauge, and there's RF 10 gauge speaker wire, brand new for the doors and rear panel. Not sure if it matters, but the sub is also in a recommended box size, at 1 cubic foot sealed, the minimum for it is .85 and max is 1.75. Now to my question, what would the issue be to cause two subs (the first sub I had was an old pioneer premier, not sure of the model, the back is all scratched off) to blow within two weeks?

Edited by 97Jetta1637

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Shell of box / baffle built by me

Port / sealing the box by John Hone

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

price has no influence on how something sounds

I told him to move the fucking port.

they see me hoppin they stoppin they can't believe im so white and dirty

It looks like you got so drunk, that someone came up and stole your leg.

what was the last sub. what is it wired to and how much power? 20 years experience on his own or professionally.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

I'm not to sure of what the first sub was, it was parallel (i think) and 15 professionally, 7 on his own. The first sub was already broke it, as it was about 9 years old. The second one didn't have enough time to be broken in, it was only an hour old, on half power (the deck goes up to 50) in the process of being broken in, the deck eq was set to bass +4 mid +1 treb -1 so it wasn't to terribly loud

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

Did you break them in ?

:lol::peepwall:

OP - clipping would do that. How did you set your gains?

you do realize that that is a 600 watt amp powering a 250w sub?

could be one of two things. clipping (using bassboost or any other bass enhancement) or overpowering.

correct, he had the amp down to 1/4 power so it wouldn't blow the sub (well to late now.)

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

Did you break them in ?

1/4

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

I'm not to sure of what the first sub was, it was parallel (i think) and 15 professionally, 7 on his own. The first sub was already broke it, as it was about 9 years old. The second one didn't have enough time to be broken in, it was only an hour old, on half power (the deck goes up to 50) in the process of being broken in, the deck eq was set to bass +4 mid +1 treb -1 so it wasn't to terribly loud

bass is on +4, thats probably the reason why. i dont understand why people boost the bass up on the headunit. it just makes literally everything sound like shit.

half power doesnt mean half volume or half gain knob. and 1/4 gain doesnt mean anything either. you could theoretically be outputting the full 600w on 1/4 gain.

Did you break them in ?

1/4

1/4 gain does not mean 1/4 power. Gain is essentially input sensitivity: a weak signal will a pretty high gain setting, while a strong one will need a low gains setting before the amp clips.

Get, or find a friend that has either an oscilloscope or DD-1 to check for clipping from both the head unit and the amp. Set your amp gains, then pull out your mutimeter and turn the gain knob down so it is putting out half the voltage it was doing at maximum (clean, unclipped) power. Then you know your subs are getting ACTUAL 1/4 power.

Edited by SnowDrifter