Sonic Electronix

I'm not to sure of what the first sub was, it was parallel (i think) and 15 professionally, 7 on his own. The first sub was already broke it, as it was about 9 years old. The second one didn't have enough time to be broken in, it was only an hour old, on half power (the deck goes up to 50) in the process of being broken in, the deck eq was set to bass +4 mid +1 treb -1 so it wasn't to terribly loud

bass is on +4, thats probably the reason why. i dont understand why people boost the bass up on the headunit. it just makes literally everything sound like shit.

half power doesnt mean half volume or half gain knob. and 1/4 gain doesnt mean anything either. you could theoretically be outputting the full 600w on 1/4 gain.

let me put it this way then, the guy who installed it was well aware of the limitations of the sub, he knew it was a rms 250 watts. but i wasn't aware the the head unit bass would cause a sub to blow, all I did was make it so the bass was able to be heard. The mids and highs strongly over power the sub due to everything being low, so even at +4 it was audible in the sense you could recognize it, but it blended in smoothly.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Shell of box / baffle built by me

Port / sealing the box by John Hone

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

price has no influence on how something sounds

I told him to move the fucking port.

they see me hoppin they stoppin they can't believe im so white and dirty

It looks like you got so drunk, that someone came up and stole your leg.

Did you break them in ?

:lol::peepwall:

OP - clipping would do that. How did you set your gains?

1/4

1/4 gain does not mean 1/4 power. Gain is essentially input sensitivity: a weak signal will a pretty high gain setting, while a strong one will need a low gains setting before the amp clips.

Get, or find a friend that has either an oscilloscope or DD-1 to check for clipping from both the head unit and the amp. Set your amp gains, then pull out your mutimeter and turn the gain knob down so it is putting out half the voltage it was doing at maximum (clean, unclipped) power. Then you know your subs are getting ACTUAL 1/4 power.

I'll see what I can do, aside from the o-scope or dd-1 since that's well out of my budget limit and I know of no one that has one, is there a way I can tell I can tell for clipping?

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

let me put it this way then, the guy who installed it was well aware of the limitations of the sub, he knew it was a rms 250 watts. but i wasn't aware the the head unit bass would cause a sub to blow, all I did was make it so the bass was able to be heard. The mids and highs strongly over power the sub due to everything being low, so even at +4 it was audible in the sense you could recognize it, but it blended in smoothly.

if the mids and highs overpowered the woofer, you need better woofers. if you wanted to hear the sub better, you should have turned the gains up more. but since you dont have the proper equipment (your friend should have some if hes an actual professional) then theres no way you can set your amp up properly

Did you break them in ?

1/4

1/4 gain does not mean 1/4 power. Gain is essentially input sensitivity: a weak signal will a pretty high gain setting, while a strong one will need a low gains setting before the amp clips.

Get, or find a friend that has either an oscilloscope or DD-1 to check for clipping from both the head unit and the amp. Set your amp gains, then pull out your mutimeter and turn the gain knob down so it is putting out half the voltage it was doing at maximum (clean, unclipped) power. Then you know your subs are getting ACTUAL 1/4 power.

I'll see what I can do, aside from the o-scope or dd-1 since that's well out of my budget limit and I know of no one that has one, is there a way I can tell I can tell for clipping?

Are your mids and highs going through an amp or just off the deck?

if the mids and highs overpowered the woofer, you need better woofers. if you wanted to hear the sub better, you should have turned the gains up more. but since you dont have the proper equipment (your friend should have some if hes an actual professional) then theres no way you can set your amp up properly

it was a cheaper sub on a 0 income budget, it was literally $50. he was a professional, he suffered a head trauma injury while in new york 5 years ago and had to quit in order due to the injuries sustained, but that's beside the point.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

it was a cheaper sub on a 0 income budget, it was literally $50. he was a professional, he suffered a head trauma injury while in new york 5 years ago and had to quit in order due to the injuries sustained, but that's beside the point.

you honestly might be expecting more out of that little sub than it can actually do. you have no idea how common it is for people to think that their setup should be louder and start turning settings up and eventually blow something. im sorry to hear about his injury though.

Did you break them in ?

1/4

Are your mids and highs going through an amp or just off the deck?

they are going through another crossfire amp, i can't find the model online and it's to cold to check the car, but it's 100ish watts @ 4 channels.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

you honestly might be expecting more out of that little sub than it can actually do. you have no idea how common it is for people to think that their setup should be louder and start turning settings up and eventually blow something. im sorry to hear about his injury though.

i'm not expecting to much, just to be able to hear the lows better than my mids/highs. i also have no doubt in my mind that it's not a loud setup, i'm planning on 2 p3s2 12s with a 1000 watt class d RF in a vented box once i get a job.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886