How To Do The Big 3: Tutorial

Guest MegaloManiac

I had been looking at upgrading the stock wiring on my '00 Protege anyway, it's looking a little rough....

I'm only running a single 10 on ~400w and the lights dim once in a while. Thinking of doing the big 3, but Lowe's is the only place local that has 0 gauge wire (and it's a plus I work there...). Would their wire be good enough?

Also, going from engine to chassis, are you bolting *between* the alt and the engine or just tagging onto a bolt from the alt? Same place with ground to frame? I think I'm already grounded to the strut tower as it is.

Thanks!

ok so i looked through this thread and i didnt see anything about how to do the big 3 if your battery is in the trunk my car doesnt have a battery under the hood so how do i do the big 3

Same way you'd do it normally......follow what UnderLoK said. Only difference being your battery is in the trunk..

• Best options is FRAME->ALT BOLT (or alt ground if the alt has a bolt on it for that), FRAME->BATT (negative), and then ALT->BATT (positive)
  • Second best is STRUT TOWER->ALT BOLT, STRUT TOWER->BATT (negative), and then ALT->BATT (positive)
  • Third best is CHASSIS->ALT BOLT (or alt ground if the alt has a bolt on it for that), CHASSIS->BATT (negative), and then CHASSIS->BATT (positive)

• 3 weeks later...

Step 6 Split wire where required (add ring terminals if needed) and connect the ends to each side of fuse holder.

Step 7 Connect the last end of wire to battery (add ring terminal if needed)

do u have pictures for this? im kinda lost here what do u mean by split the wire? like cut it to length? or split it down the middle into two? and what are those conectors tht u have on the battery?

GROUNDPOUNDERZ.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

do u reconnect the positive wire that was already on the alternator? or wat do u do with it

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same exact set-up only without the sleeve.

VfA79.jpg

2004 Melky Toyota Scion xB

Kenwood Touchscreen Headunit

4 15" Kicker CVR

4 6" Audiopipe

6 8" Audiopipe

6 Tweeters Audiopipe

1 Rockford Fosgate T2500.1 bd

1 Lanzar 3000

1 Audiopipe 1500

2 Optimum YellowTop Batteries

The Big Three

19" rims

and more..

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/119197-build-log-scion-xb-4-15-kicker/

• 2 months later...

Great tutorial ...very descriptive

2001 Grand AM

Pioneer UB4000 HU

Tsunami / Monster Wire's

DC POWER INC 260SP ALT w/ XS Power VCM

BIG 3 All 1/0 Monster 400 + YT Under Hood

Stinger SPV70 x2 in Trunk

4x SA-10's On There Way soon i hope

SS XXX-4000D @ .7ohm 3K+

RF Power 4x6's & 6x9's Monsoon Powered

PG TL22 Line Driver

148.7db @ 35-45hz sweep w/ 12" BTL

i did the big 3 but still my battery drops low..headlights dim so on...have i got bad grounds?

Red light rev ya engines..light goes green u take off, petal to the floor.I take it slow but some how seem to catch up with u at he next red.So u think u can do it again.light goes green you stall..i put my foot down just to show u what fast really looks like :)

i did the big 3 but still my battery drops low..headlights dim so on...have i got bad grounds?

your batt is prolly dead what you running for equipment??

http://www.stevemead...f-system-build/

2001 VW GTI with a 1.8T motor

BIG 3

Pioneer AVH-4200DVD DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNIT 6 - 4 VOLT PREOUTS

RF T1500-BDCP (running at 2 ohm)

RF T400.4

RF T1 D212 x2 (in ported box)

RF 1/0 TO 4 GAUGE distribution block x 2

all stinger wires

200a alternator (SINGER ALT)

RF T2652-S (6.5 MID BASS AND 1" TWEETS in front and rear)

KINETIC HC 800 BATTERY (Front)

KINETIC HC 1200 BATTERY (BACK)

120ft of 1/0 stinger blue and clear matt

20ft of 4 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

30ft of 8 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

100ft of 12 gauge stinger speaker wire black

01VWGREENMACHINE

It isnt i just brought a new optima yellow top battery in nz for 600

i currenty am running 2 12inch pionner chapion seris pro subs (1000rms 3000watts each)

And a Blaupunkt 18 inch (1800rms 5400watt)

they are running off

Sound magus 3500W RMS and the 12s are on a 1500 watt prision amp

Red light rev ya engines..light goes green u take off, petal to the floor.I take it slow but some how seem to catch up with u at he next red.So u think u can do it again.light goes green you stall..i put my foot down just to show u what fast really looks like :)

01VWGREENMACHINE

It isnt i just brought a new optima yellow top battery in nz for 600

i currenty am running 2 12inch pionner chapion seris pro subs (1000rms 3000watts each)

And a Blaupunkt 18 inch (1800rms 5400watt)

they are running off

Sound magus 3500W RMS and the 12s are on a 1500 watt prision amp

Ok first things first mixing subs is not good even running different amps the subs will cancel each other out imo..... use the 12s or use the 18" imo.... you need more than one battery what wire running from front to back

Hi SMD Members If anybody has computer problems and is an SMD member with at least 150 posts I will fix your problems for free by phone support or I can also fix your computer over the internet.... I have references such as All State insurance, Nationwide Insurance and much more... just p.m me for help.. I am not the greatest with when it comes to audio systems so I figured I could contribute to the forum this way.... Thanks David

Archived