First Computer build

Well I am attempting to build my first computer, last time i was working inside a computer was in 10th grade... which was umm 10 years ago? Never built one on my own so we will see how it goes. I like PC games so this is going to be my Gaming computer. Currently i am playing Star Wars The Old republic so this is an overkill.

Specs

Intel I7 2600k

Geforce 580 Supercharged 1.gb

1 TB Hard drive

Intel 510 SSD drive 120gb

Thermalright HR-02 Macho

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942

Corsair Hx750

Corsair Vengence 16 GB Low Profile ram.

CD/DVD burner

Asus p8z68-V LE LGA 1155

Edited by dkahns51

Sounds like a good build.

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

TaylorFade, on 02 Jul 2013 - 9:38 PM, said:

Go back to that place, ask to speak to that dude again, look him dead in the eye and then.... pop him in the snot box.

Tell him T-Fade sent you.

I actually ordered the same specs on Cyberpowerpc and it was almost the same price.. but after a month of waiting for them and alot of problems before they even sent it i decided to cancle it the day the sent it.. because they would not give me the 10% discount they just started for valentines day special. So i told them that they can have there computer back then if they dont treat there customers with curtasy. So full refund from them coming, and Self build should be started next week.

Edited by dkahns51

Do you plan on over clockin everything?

No i don't plan on over clocking anything, this is going to be a straight up build. I am not that computer savvy to do anything like that :P

k well i got a few concerns.. firstly

"Intel 510 SSD drive 120gb"

and

"Geforce 580 Supercharged 1.gb"

the intel SSD chips arent as great as the vertex 3s. i would even suggest a crucial M4 over an intel any day.

gotta know where a company puts its focus at. intel is on processors. ocz is on SSDs. crucials is all over the place it seems.

also with any 4xx or 5xx nvidia video card, i STRONGLY suggest not using the reference cooler. i STRONGLY suggest going with a 3rd party brand such as MSI, gigabyte, or zotac.

the reason why i suggest this is that the nvidia 4xx and 5xx series gets VERY hot, over 70C yes, thats right over 158 degrees.

playing star wars you will probably only see 38-60C if you purchase a 3rd party video card.

remember.. HEAT, is the death of all things electronic. if you want a long lasting computer, please keep this in mind:

low heat = long computer life, lots of heat = short computer life.

the ONLY 580 i would ever recommend to a customer would be this one..

MSI nvidia 580 gtx twin frozr III... thats twin frozr THREE 3.. if you cant find the twin frozr 3, then the next best is the twin frozr 2 TWO.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

k well i got a few concerns.. firstly

"Intel 510 SSD drive 120gb"

and

"Geforce 580 Supercharged 1.gb"

the intel SSD chips arent as great as the vertex 3s. i would even suggest a crucial M4 over an intel any day.

gotta know where a company puts its focus at. intel is on processors. ocz is on SSDs. crucials is all over the place it seems.

also with any 4xx or 5xx nvidia video card, i STRONGLY suggest not using the reference cooler. i STRONGLY suggest going with a 3rd party brand such as MSI, gigabyte, or zotac.

the reason why i suggest this is that the nvidia 4xx and 5xx series gets VERY hot, over 70C yes, thats right over 158 degrees.

playing star wars you will probably only see 38-60C if you purchase a 3rd party video card.

remember.. HEAT, is the death of all things electronic. if you want a long lasting computer, please keep this in mind:

low heat = long computer life, lots of heat = short computer life.

the ONLY 580 i would ever recommend to a customer would be this one..

MSI nvidia 580 gtx twin frozr III... thats twin frozr THREE 3.. if you cant find the twin frozr 3, then the next best is the twin frozr 2 TWO.

Ugh. I hate to do it, but I disagree with pretty much everything in this post.

Intel's 510 series SSD's are some top-of-the-line hardware. I would have no reservations against running an Intel SSD as compared to Crucial or OCZ's drives. I actually run Intel's 120GB 320 series drive as my boot drive and it's been flawless. Intel's got enough money and is smart enough to invest into building a good product. SSD's are a huge market for them and they've got some of the most advanced hardware. By your same logic, Comcast internet is better than Verizon's FiOS because all Comcast does is cable and Verizon is split between their cell phone market and their DSL and FiOS markets. Yet we all know FiOS is vastly better.

Nvidia's desktop cards are perfectly capable of handling 70+ degree temperatures 24/7. Even overclocked, their cards can handle 90+ celcius like a champ. GPU's aren't nearly as sensitive as CPU's to heat. I've got a pair of 6950's unlocked to 6970's and overclocked using the stock cooler and with the custom fan control in MSI Afterburner they don't touch 75 degrees C even in Furmark or gaming. Stock coolers are enough. Go with an aftermarket cooler if you want quieter operation or overclocking headroom. If you're not overclocking, stock cards are perfect.

NOW, here's one thing I would recommend. If you never plan on overclocking the chip or doing any sort of heavy video editing or rendering, Intel's i5-2400 is the exact same performance as the i7-2600K for over $100 less. The K-series chips are designed to be overclocked and are simply a waste of money if they are run at stock speeds. That money saved is a significant amount and can either wind up back in your pocket or be used to upgrade other parts like moving into a graphics card with an aftermarket cooler or upgrading to a more robust motherboard. Something like the upgraded P8Z68 PRO will give you the option for SLI or CrossFireX down the line if you ever feel the need to add a second card as well as a few other nice hardware features.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

sigh maxim.. why do you gotta do this.. im not trying to argue.. but seriously? please be serious right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

vs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167042

i mean the intel is just SO cute, its like a little kitten compared to the raging pissed dragon of the OCZ.

costs more, performs worse.. i have no idea in what world you would have to live in to buy an intel ssd over an OCZ or crucial M4.

as for the video card.. man.. again.. really?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127567

vs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587

quieter, cooler, faster, custom pcb, more features than a jumbo jet.. (not literally).. but COME ON..

your completely fine with him pissing money out the window.. then you tell him to get the locked version of the i7..? lol

and handling 90+C like a champ is amazing... if you dont mind putting 200 degrees worth of heat out the back of your case!

and yes, the card kill temp is like 95C.. ive never ever heard of any 5 series getting above 80C but who knows.

i really hate going up against someone with computer knowledge.. but in the tech/computer world.. graphs/performance numbers dont lie. cheaper + made by a better brand + faster = ???

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

sigh maxim.. why do you gotta do this.. im not trying to argue.. but seriously? please be serious right now

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227706

vs

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820167042

i mean the intel is just SO cute, its like a little kitten compared to the raging pissed dragon of the OCZ.

costs more, performs worse.. i have no idea in what world you would have to live in to buy an intel ssd over an OCZ or crucial M4.

as for the video card.. man.. again.. really?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127567

vs

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130587

quieter, cooler, faster, custom pcb, more features than a jumbo jet.. (not literally).. but COME ON..

your completely fine with him pissing money out the window.. then you tell him to get the locked version of the i7..? lol

and handling 90+C like a champ is amazing... if you dont mind putting 200 degrees worth of heat out the back of your case!

and yes, the card kill temp is like 95C.. ive never ever heard of any 5 series getting above 80C but who knows.

i really hate going up against someone with computer knowledge.. but in the tech/computer world.. graphs/performance numbers dont lie. cheaper + made by a better brand + faster = ???

It's not always about speed with an SSD. Reliability is a HUGE factor, and Intel and Crucial beat the pants off OCZ when it comes to their NAND flash memory.

And I didn't bother to look up prices on the GTX 580's at 2 in the morning. If they're the same price, grab the Twin Frozr II. Both MSI and EVGA make killer cards, so there's really nothing wrong with either.

The CPU I said to get was the i5-2400. The i5. i5. NOT the i7. The i7 offers ZERO performance advantage in gaming over the i5 on the desktop platform and the need for an unlocked chip is nonexistant if there is no overclocking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

$140 difference between the chips for zero gain in performance definitely seems like a waste of money to me.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

yeah i made a mistake when i said locked i7. i caught the mistake after i posted and didnt wanna edit. but i did say same performance! :P

reliability.. idk. i wouldnt use reliable and ssd in the same sentence really. theres bad reviews for all ssds, bad firmware, bad nand.

i really believe intel and ocz both use micron nand (could be wrong, but i remember reading something about this a while back, just cant find it).. no idea what crucial uses, didnt bother to google it.

i mean imo.. when someone says SSD, i think maintenance.. personally i dont mind fixing an error with my ssd if i have one.. but customers losing data, etc etc..

and yes i agree.. anything past the i5 2500 is just e peen.

pretty much like saying.. "i have 64gb of ram.. but i play runescape."

but to recap.. ssd and reliability has always been an issue.. whether its 32nm or 25nm.

IMO he coulddddd... get a wd black 1tb and a ocz snyapse cache drive.. it actually works.

Edited by Sheena

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop