Sonic Electronix

Pass Thru Issues (Trying To Link 2 4 Channel Amps)

I'm trying to link 2 rockford fosgate t600-4s together, but one channel seems to always be off.

I have all 4 rcas from the head unit to amp #1 going in the inputs, then i have an rca y splitter (M to 2 F) coming out of each input of the pass through, then having 4 rcas coming from those into the inputs on amp #2. The front left and front right channels of amp #1 and #2 are at 2 ohms. The rear left on amp #1 is at 2 ohms, the rear right is not in use. The rear right on amp #2 is at 2 ohms, the rear left is not in use. I have "all pass" turned on on both amps and both amps are set to "4 channel" there seems to be an issue when i stage the sound on the head unit to rear left, i get no sound at all.

post-22618-0-08267700-1332912555_thumb.jpg

post-22618-0-74497000-1332913376_thumb.jpg

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
1st Setup: 145.8 DB Outlaw @37 HZ On Music Out Of Trunk
2nd Setup: 147.8 DB @42 HZ On Music Out The Trunk
Current Trunk Build:
153.8 DB Outlaw @ 49 HZ Out the trunk (150.8 DB Sealed)
Team gg.

it could be bad wiring to the speaker, bad speaker or a dead channel on the amp, take a dmm and get a reading off the channel your having issues with, if your getting voltage then compare it to the voltage off a known working channel and if theyre similar then the amp is doing its job and its in the speaker or wire

it could be bad wiring to the speaker, bad speaker or a dead channel on the amp, take a dmm and get a reading off the channel your having issues with, if your getting voltage then compare it to the voltage off a known working channel and if theyre similar then the amp is doing its job and its in the speaker or wire

well i guess ill add that all the speakers work when i center the stage, i have 8 4 ohm speakers (4 going into FL/FR on amp 1, 4 going into FL/FR on amp 2) and 4 4 ohm speakers (2 going into RL on amp 1, 2 going into RR on amp 2), rcas seem fine to me, itll have to be the morning before i can check...the manual for the amp does not mention how to do this, im thinking maybe 1 amp needs to be on "2 channel" mode to enable the pass thru? may be worth a try

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

Sound like the head unit's rear left isn't working or the connection on the rca's is bad along the line from the head unit to the amp. when you go too center the amp is passing the front left thru the pass through but not when you fade to the rear channels.

Try swapping the front/rear on your first amps inputs from the head unit, then fade to rear and see if you lose a front speaker . I think that will tell you if that's the case.

I think thats right.

edit*

or just disconnect all but left rear off your headunit and see if you lose sound altogether.

Edited by strangeduck

Sound like the head unit's rear left isn't working or the connection on the rca's is bad along the line from the head unit to the amp. when you go too center the amp is passing the front left thru the pass through but not when you fade to the rear channels.

Try swapping the front/rear on your first amps inputs from the head unit, then fade to rear and see if you lose a front speaker . I think that will tell you if that's the case.

I think thats right.

edit*

or just disconnect all but left rear off your headunit and see if you lose sound altogether.

actually it very well could be your rca's because its on amp one that passes through to amp 2 and the passthru will take the front channels and pass them through to the second amp, so that rules out your pass thru on the amp. i think you should just swap the front and rear rca's and just disconnect the second amp so you could hear it more clearly and listen to your front stage and see if you notice one side louder than the other. Lol this is what i get for trying to think at 2 in the morning

Edited by jrchevy87

i think i fixed it but not sure if i did it right. Now i got all 4 rcas going to amp 1 with pass thru going to the front channels only on amp 2. I have every channel on amp 1 at 2 ohms, i got the front channels on amp 2 at 2 ohms, but i have no rear connections on amp 2 and now all the channels are working perfect and its a lot louder. My guess is that when i left the rear left with no input on amp 1 and no input on the rear right on amp 2, it didnt allow the signal to pass thru, now its just passing the front channels through which is all i need, hope its right.

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

it works so i wouldnt complain lol, as long as your amps dont overheat and it sounds good then thumbs up

nahh they heat less then before, i appreciate all the help troubleshooting, it led to this solution, so far so good, i wish there were more instructions on how to do this, this is my first time hooking up 2 amps for subs and mids/highs, hate to blow 2k+ worth of equipment not doing it right lol

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

it works so i wouldnt complain lol, as long as your amps dont overheat and it sounds good then thumbs up

nahh they heat less then before, i appreciate all the help troubleshooting, it led to this solution, so far so good, i wish there were more instructions on how to do this, this is my first time hooking up 2 amps for subs and mids/highs, hate to blow 2k+ worth of equipment not doing it right lol

not a problem and i deffinately hear you there, it's already expensive enough then factor in when something fails.