1994 Ford F350 CC BLOW THROUGH - DC and Soundstream

So I had to bring the truck to work today, and do some hauling for work. I decided that I didn't want to ride in silence all day, so I decided to get the head unit put in this morning. I didn't want to put it in just yet cause I still have to run the rca's and wires etc. But at the moment, it's not a big deal. I still have my alpine cage in there, so while the pioneer sits in there fine and doesn't move around, it doesn't also clip in. So I'll probably take it out tonight when I get home so I can at least keep it for a while.

On to pics!

Got the harnesses plugged in, good thing i did this already lol!

IMG_20120706_080039.jpg

Head unit out and ready to go in.

IMG_20120706_080153.jpg

and in it's final resting place, well for now anyway!

IMG_20120706_080412.jpg

The beautiful shot

/

/

/

/

/

/

/Wait for itttttttt

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

BAM!!

IMG_20120706_080445.jpg

For whatever reason, I LOVE the look of this thing. There's nothing special about it that I can see but it just flows!

Turned the key! And it works!

IMG_20120706_081202.jpg

Check this out, even has a volt meter on it! WOOT!!

14.0 at idle!

IMG_20120706_081155.jpg

Now I've not done anything with it. Nothing on settings or anything really. I set the clock, date, and adjusted a couple of things. But not hooked up the bluetooth or anything else. I'll do all that when I get it all hooked up this weekend.

Thanks for checking in! That's it for now!

Ok, sit back and strap in cause here we go!

Here's the current battery situation.

DSC05855.jpg

For some reason I thought I'd see what I could do about it today. So I started taking things apart! Removed the tray it sat on. Actually, let me back up. In the picture above you can see, barely, a black bar on the back left of the battery. That bracket is another brace for the battery tray. I tried to turn the battery sideways, and that was in the way. So I took the bolt out of it, and moved it out and the battery fit, sort of. So then I started tearing into it.

DSC05856.jpg

Removed the cylinder thing, I have no idea what it is. (for those of you on FTE forums, if you could enlighten me please). WEll I didn't really remove it, just really moved it out of the way for now.

DSC05857.jpg

Then came down the starter solenoid. I hate that these are up here, it's really in the way!

DSC05858.jpg

Took some measurements and grabbed a piece of foam board stock I had laying around. Made a template based on the size of the batteries, yes I said batterieS, and it worked out so I transferred it to wood!

DSC05859.jpg

Put it in the space, and really it was looking really good! A couple shims under it on the old bracket, a brace in front, a brace on the side where the old one was, and we've got it made.......

DSC05860.jpg

batteries on the tray

DSC05861.jpg

DSC05862.jpg

DSC05863.jpg

Then I started making braces for the front and the side. Notice I'm using all birch. Cause all I had on hand was 1/2" birch or 3/4" mdf. I figured birch would fare better in the elements.

DSC05864.jpg

Also to that, let me really quickly stop and clarify something. If I knew how to weld, wood would not even come into play here. I'd make a new tray out of metal and that would be the end of it. However, I don't know how to weld, and for now, this will do in my opinion. I'll do another one later on down the road, cause I really do intend to learn to weld.

Ok let's move on.

Sorry, this one was blurry for some reason. After looking at the tray, and stopping to measure, and doing some quick math and brainstorming, I realized that the tray really needed to sit on the bracket like the original tray. Well in order to make that happen I had to remove some material out of the wheel well. Not a big deal, and I'll get it fiberglassed in another time.

So this is where i measured to cut.

DSC05865.jpg

And here you can see why I need new tires BADLY!!

DSC05866.jpg

After a little fine trimming, it was in perfectly and sat flat as could be. I was very pleased!

DSC05867.jpg

From underneath! Again blurry WTF!!!! I hate my camera!

DSC05868.jpg

Next I did a little brace under the tray, so I had more than a half inch of material to screw into for the side bracket.

DSC05869.jpg

bottom side. Screws just barely poke through. But that's ok, nothing under it to worry about poking, other than my DAMN FINGERS!

DSC05870.jpg

Next I got the side racket screwed on.

DSC05871.jpg

Had some allen head screws laying around and they just happened to be the same thread size as the bolt holes that the original tray bolted on to. Lucky right!?! I think so!

DSC05872.jpg

DSC05873.jpg

So I bet you're wondering how I got those holes to be the exact hole size and be positioned exactly where they're supposed to go. Obviously the fender is in the way and I couldn't just draw through it to mark the holes. So, I put the old bolts in, and tightened them down. Then I put the tray back in with the bracket on, and SMACKED IT WITH MY HAMMER! Really! It made an indentation on the wood and thus, I knew exactly where the holes were supposed to be drilled. There you have it! A little Carver (my last name) ingenuity!

Next I had to get the holes marked for the bottom bracket. That wasn't going to be so easy. There were clips that held those bolts in and they were so rusted, that when I tried to loosen the bolts, they broke. So, I got the tray in place, and tried to reach in where I cut the wheel well lining. Well it was too close for a marker to fit. So I grabbed one of my daughters 300 pencils, the teal one with the flowers, and I broke that sum bitch in half! Worked like a charm. Was able to trace the hole from under the liner.

DSC05874.jpg

So the next part was figuring out, now that holes were in, how I was going to actually secure the tray to the bracket. Remember there aren't any threaded inserts on the bracket. So I decided to put some on the tray. If I could weld, again, I'd have tacked some nuts on the bracket and then I could've screwed, or bolted it down from the top. Instead I chose this pain in the ass solution.

Threaded inserts, with my trusty attitude adjuster! This was my tool of choice when I was framing. 19oz, dual head, I could take this head off and put a different one on, it also had a nice grip on it. Loved this hammer! She just doesn't get the love she used to! teardrop! Ok moving on!

DSC05875.jpg

Inserts inserted!

DSC05876.jpg

DSC05877.jpg

Now it was time to add some sides so these bad boys don't move!

DSC05878.jpg

Counter sunk holes

DSC05879.jpg

put together!

DSC05880.jpg

Now to put it on the base. All counter sunk holes with 2" screws! Wanted it as stout as possible for wood!

DSC05881.jpg

DSC05882.jpg

Top side

DSC05883.jpg

DSC05884.jpg

Some of the pictures seem to be hit and miss as far as working. Still using stupid failbucket for my photos. I really should change. I've noticed that if they're not working, and I refresh the page, they seem to come back. Just FYI. I know about it, not much I can do about it. Sorry.

Moving on.

very nice box man!! i like it a lot

JonSig1_zpsaea3e8d2.gif

Contact us for the best quality cables and accessories with the fastest shipping in the industry

EMAIL: [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

LIKE US ON FB: https://www.facebook.com/SkyHighCarAudio

ADD ME ON FB: https://www.facebook.com/jon.rabe.1

MONSTER SKY HIGH/DC GMC: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/127057-sky-high-monster-gmc-walk-through-12-lvl-5-15s-6-9ks-trim-panels-and-wiring-p-90/

DSC05885.jpg

Ok, lets do a test fit with this bad boy!

DSC05886.jpg

Little tighter with the walls on, not when in place, but getting it in place. But she's there as you can see.

DSC05887.jpg

Bolted it in, and the bottom screws stuck up a bit. so I had to grind those down.

DSC05888.jpg

Have I ever mentioned that this is my favorite tool I own!

DSC05889.jpg

DSC05890.jpg

Now, lets get a little test fit of the goods!

DSC05891.jpg

Now that everything is in and fits good, I had to move a few more things around to make it all work right. These three bolts needed to move over about an inch to get that cylinder back in. These bolts go to a vaccume thing. It was in the way for the cylinder going back in. Move over bioch!

DSC05892.jpg

DSC05893.jpg

And these were the new holes for the cylinder. You can see the old ones right next to the tray.

DSC05894.jpg

This is the cylinder thing again, ready to go back in.

DSC05895.jpg

In the new holes. "I love it when a plan comes together!"

DSC05896.jpg

A shot of the screws from under the tray.

DSC05897.jpg

Now we can't just leave this as raw wood, so we must do something about it. I really should fiberglass it and seal it all in, but really I'm not sure how long I'm going to leave it like this so, for now we'll prime the hell out of it, and paint the hell out of it. Should seal it up nicely.

DSC05898.jpg

DSC05899.jpg

DSC05900.jpg

So I forgot that I didn't have any black paint, I used the rest of it for the amp rack and box. So I had to run to the hardware store around the corner. Should've known they didn't have crap! I hate that place, but they have just enough to keep me going there, except when I really need something specific. They did however, have this stuff. It's leak seal by Rustoleum. It's made to seal up cracks and stop water leaks etc. So I figured a few coats of this stuff would do me just perfectly! See, now I'll go back, cause they had this. DAMN THEM! Rope me in every time!

DSC05901.jpg

It really has a nice texture to it too.

DSC05902.jpg

DSC05903.jpg

DSC05904.jpg

Ok, so now that the battery tray is done and drying, it was time to get on to the real work! Getting that power to the back of the truck! PVC runs, with brackets

DSC05905.jpg

Stinger HPM 1/0 ga Ground and Positive cables!

DSC05906.jpg

Ready to run it!

DSC05907.jpg

Let's get this party started!

DSC05908.jpg

In case some of you don't know, the green stick is a fish tape, but in a stick! I think it's literally called a fish stick. For pulling electrical wires through walls and well anywhere really! It's been a life saver more than once for me! I hate crawling through attics!

DSC05909.jpg

DSC05910.jpg

And we're good up front!

DSC05911.jpg

Went back and check on the box really quick. Painted the bottom side. Prematurely too, cause I put some finger marks on the sides. Oops!

DSC05912.jpg

Now back to the cables. Ran them through the pvc and we're ready to mount them to the bottom of the truck.

DSC05913.jpg

I chose to pass through the truck with some carlon elbows. They were a pain to get through cause they're a tight 90* and they're not full 3/4" like the pvc, but I managed! I probably should've grabbed some carlon while I was at the hardware store to make that little turn there, but I didn't think about it at the time.

DSC05914.jpg

DSC05915.jpg

View from inside the cabin where the wires come through.

DSC05918.jpg

Cable is done!

Time to refuel!

DSC05920.jpg

Now it was time to get back to wiring on the amp rack. Kind of looks like a mess, but just wait a minute, it'll clean up! The blue sticky note is the wiring for the relay. It's been so long I forgot how to do it, so I looked it up!

DSC05922.jpg

Relay done. Soldered and heat shrinked connectors.

DSC05923.jpg

Remote turn on barrier strip, again soldered and heat shrink.

DSC05924.jpg

BAM! And done! See told you it would clean itself up! The only thing missing now is the power cable and the ground cable. Those will come when it's in the truck! Oh and the second set of speaker cables. I ran the one for the front, but the rears aren't really in the truck. I have those boxes I made that I'll plug in when needed. Those will go on the first and second channels (top 2) when they're used.

DSC05925.jpg

DSC05926.jpg

DSC05927.jpg

DSC05928.jpg

These are prepping for the power and ground cables. Ready to be laid and zip tied! Neat and tidy!

DSC05929.jpg

Archived