1994 Ford F350 CC BLOW THROUGH - DC and Soundstream

There's a build thread on this already started. I'm going to just recap to begin with on the design photos, sketch ups, etc. If you'd like to follow along with the build itself, or at least the comments etc., feel free to visit my build thread here: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/138402-1994-ford-f350-crew-cab-soundstream-dc-audio-build-slowwww/page__fromsearch__1

Ok so here's the final list of equipment that's going in.

Head unit - Pioneer DEH-80PRS

AUX - Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet - All the goodies to go with it, i.e converter box, etc

Front Stage:

Tweeters - Soundstream Pro Audio SST-20 Carbon Fiber Super Tweets

Mid Range - Soundstream Pro Audio SM.654P 6.5" x 2

Mid Bass - DC Audio Lvl 2 M2 8" D2's (Sealed at .7 cu ft - either in a center console enclosure)

Front Stage Power:

Soundstream Rubicon 4.600 4 channel amp - Tweeters and Mid Range

Soundstream Rubicon 1.1600 mono amp - Mid Bass

Rear Stage:

Tweeters - Soundstream Pro Audio SST-20 Carbon Fiber Super Tweets

Mid Range - Soundstream Pro Audio SM.654P 6.5"

Rear Stage Power:

Soundstream Rubicon 4.600 4 channel amp

Subs:

DC Audio Level 4 D2 M2 12's x 4

Enclosure:

Blow through at approx - 6.51 Net, Tuned at approx 35 hz

Sub Power:

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500D x 2 (strapped at 2 ohm load)

Power:

H/O Alt: Undecided, either a Mike Singer 200a or a Mechman 270a (depends on money and fitment)

Main Battery - XS Power D3100

Rear Batteries - XS Power XP3000 x 2

Distribution: Home made aluminum distribution blocks, and fuse blocks.

Stinger Power, Ground, Primary, and Speaker Wire

Here's where I'm at! You've seen the equipment list! Now here's the beast it's all going in!

Everything must remain fully functional, since this is the family traveling vehicle. It's basically a camping vehicle. Paid off, so no real cost monthly aside of the cheap insurance we carry. But we are looking for a travel trailer to go with it so I needed something to pull it.

Here she is!

DSC05562.jpg

DSC05563.jpg

Now I'll post a bunch of pics from the interior and measurements etc. These were alot more for my reference, but it may help some other people as well, to get an idea of what i'm doing, how it'll fit, etc. Here goes!

DSC05534.jpg

DSC05535.jpg

DSC05536.jpg

DSC05537.jpg

DSC05538.jpg

DSC05542.jpg

DSC05541.jpg

DSC05543.jpg

DSC05554.jpg

DSC05555.jpg

DSC05556.jpg

DSC05557.jpg

DSC05558.jpg

DSC05559.jpg

DSC05560.jpg

DSC05561.jpg

So that's it for the measurement pictures! Now we'll get down to some serious design and stuff to look at. No build yet, but we're working up to that. This is going to be a slow build, so try to keep that in mind! I'm excited about it, but it's going to take some serious planning as well as time to get it going and make some real progress on it. So be patient with me!

So I was going to originally do a rear seat box and put 4 subs in it. I think everyone saw that already. Then I moved from that to a center console box with the same 4 subs in it. On both I think I was going to go with 8's. But nothing seemed like it was going to work out well, considering my need to be functional, and that's non negotiable.

So I decided on this! I have this huge truck box from my time when I owned my own business and had my 2006 F350 Crew Cab! GOD I MISS THAT THING! Anyway, I still have the box that I had in it. Decided that was going to be what I use for the subs! Here it is!

IMG00873-20111112-1501.jpg

So I measured the bed of this truck and it looks like it's going to fit. Let see!

Empty bed

DSC05616.jpg

DSC05617.jpg

IT FITS!

DSC05618.jpg

DSC05619.jpg

DSC05620.jpg

DSC05621.jpg

DSC05624.jpg

This is where i have a problem. I was looking at this and the bed rail is about 2" - 2 1/2" thick, and the box buts up against that rail. That leaves me with a cavity between the back of the box and the bed wall, about the width of the rail thickness.

DSC05622.jpg

So I got to thinking about how could I get it to sit flush. Cut the actual bed rail? What? Then I realized I can't really do anything about it. I don't want to compromise the strength of the bed wall by cutting that rail, and I cant tuck the box under cause, as you can see here, the lid uses that area to hinge too.

DSC05623.jpg

So I'm going to have to come up with some kind of metal frame to but the box up to, that goes to the bed wall, so when the enclosure is built and passed through the wall, the water and weather doesn't get to it. I'm still in the works on that design. I have a few ideas in my head, but nothing solid as of yet.

So you know it by now! I'm doing a blow through! Here's what I came up with first. This was to incorporate the amps and the subs and batts all in one case (the box)!

Front, this is what you'll see through the cabin, when you fold the back seat forward:

Truckboxblowthroughdesignwithenclosurefront.jpg

Truckboxblowthroughdesignwithenclosuresideangle.jpg

Truckboxblowthroughdesignwithenclosuretopfront.jpg

Truckboxblowthroughdesignwithenclosurerear.jpg

Back panel missing to see the guts.

Truckboxblowthroughdesignwithenclosurerearwithbackwallhidden.jpg

Then I started messing with the amp rack design. I wanted it all in one area so that I could do it outside of the truck, and work on it as I wanted to and it was all in one nice little package. Also now that I was doing the blow through, the back wall was no longer available for the amp rack. SO I had to put them somewhere.

I had thought about a ceiling mounted system, but as you'll see throughout this thread, I'm limited by my non ability to weld. I never learned how to weld and thus things that need to be welded I can't do at this point. SO I'm either going to have to learn or have it outsourced.

So then I thought about putting them all in the truck box. There's plenty of room for all 5 amps, db's, and batteries! So that's what these pics show.

First layout option:

Truckboxblowthroughdesignwithenclosureandamprackfacingbacktoppview.jpg

Truckboxblowthroughdesignwithenclosureandamprackfacingback.jpg

Second layout option:

Truckboxblowthroughdesignwithenclosureandamprackampssidefacingtopvieew.jpg

Truckboxblowthroughdesignwithenclosureandamprackampssidefacing.jpg

Then someone suggested that wasn't a good idea, cause if i have to ever remove this box, I'll be 100% without sound. So I had to think of something else. The same guy showed me a thread that would work great in my situation. I saw it a long time ago and was going to use it in my Civic build, but decided not to. HERE, however, it's perfect! The idea is a rear seat amp rack, removing some of the actual seat, and putting the amps actually into the seat itself. Very custom, very sleek, and very do able!

So I started that amp rack!

This is where it started. I was planning to use 4 amps for mids and highs and mid bass at this point. One two channel amp per mid bass bridged (equals 2), a 4 channel for mid range and tweeters up front, and a 4 channel for the rear. I also was going off of memory on the seat and guessed about 3 inches too short on the seat back. That's why it looks so tight.

This is as if you were looking at the back seat from the front. There is an armrest in the middle I thought I'd cut out to allow air to pass through. This also tightened things up.

RearSeatBackAmpRackFront.jpg

Then if you fold the seat down, this is what you'd see!

RearSeatBackAmpRackRear.jpg

The two 1.2500d's can still remain in the sub box cause they are strictly for the subs. No issues there. I still, here, have issues with space for the db's cause I need fuses and distribution to all 4 amps at this point. I figured I could just make a little rack on the floor behind the seat and put them there. So when you flip open the seat, you'll see the amps and then the dbs on the floor. All having beauty panels on them. I didn't draw that up.

Then I decided to change things up with the amps, and also found out that I had 21" of height to work with on the seat back, instead of 18". So that helped spread things out. I decided to go to a single high powered amp for the mid bass vs the two 2 channels. That eliminated an amp, and as you can imagine, opened up a bunch of space. SO I developed version two of the seat back amp rack!

I'm still deciding on how it will flow better looks wise, but these are the two designs. Basically the same but flipped.

First one is the two 4 channel amps on the bottom with the mono amp in the center top flanked by the db's on either side. I like this one and think it's much better balanced, but I'm worried about signal issues with having the power and ground so close to the amps. Maybe I'm worried about nothing, but it is a concern none the less. Looks wise this is the one I'm leaning towards.

RearSeatAmpRack4600bottomwithdbs.jpg

RearSeatAmpRack4600bottomside.jpg

Then this is version 2 option b. Same basic thing but flipped. On this one the dbs are on the bottom and wouldn't pass the higher range (meaning mid range and tweeter, plus rear fill) amps.

RearSeatAmpRack4600topwithdbs.jpg

RearSeatAmpRack4600topside.jpg

So those are the amp racks as of now. I just have to decide which one I want to go with.

Now that we have that all established. Lets move back up front. I don't know how many people remember that I was doing a tablet install in my Civic, but I'm transferring that into this truck. So I have to find a way to do a few things up front here. I have to figure out how to get a tablet, head unit, and a mid bass enclosure in the center console.

My first thought was to be, again, completely functional and leave the center seat alone. That way someone can sit there if need be. But the more I think about it, the less I think that's possible. I'll get back to that.

First thing would be a base. I need to make an enclosure that has a volume of about 1.6 cu ft before displacement. This is a sealed enclosure. This would be the base of the center console, so to speak. Here's that area:

DSC05644.jpg

DSC05643.jpg

I actually have some decent space in there to work with. I worked up the measurements, including angles, and got it onto Torres calculator, and I came up with 1.61 cu ft sealed, and 1.41 cu ft after displacement! That' gives me my .7 cu ft per driver sealed. Now this, of course, is if I decide to leave that center seat in there. It can be removed. I still have to sketch up a design, but that'll have to come in later.

Onto the dash. I want this to look good, custom, but not look off. I got out my tablet and started looking at designs in my head. Taking into account the center enclosure, base console. Here is the dash itself.

DSC05637.jpg

Close up of the dash

DSC05636.jpg

Started playing with the tablet.

First I thought low on the dash, move the HVAC, and leave the head unit where it was.

DSC05638.jpg

DSC05639.jpg

son of a ...you pretty much just described what I'm doing to my buick...speaker wise.

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

I looked at it for a minute and I thought, it looks ok but not good enough! So I moved on!

I came up with this! Remove the head unit, remove the HVAC and the tablet goes right in there. Mold it to the dash! The top piece that surrounds the head unit comes off, as does the piece that surrounds the HVAC controls. I'll make it so it folds out and then it will seem as though it's just in the dash, not slid in. No slit to see where it slides in.

DSC05640.jpg

DSC05641.jpg

Looking a little further into it, I came up with only one problem really. This vent!

DSC05642.jpg

But after looking at it some more, and you can see it in the first picture there, I can really either just move the vent, or eliminate it all together. You can see there's a vent on the left side of where the tablet would sit. Then, not pictured, there's a vent on the right side of the glove box. SO I could eliminate it and just fill it in.

Or the other option would be to move the vent up above the silver line there, in the piece that's removable, and re route the ducting. Then I'd also have to do the same to the other vent as well so it would look uniform.

The last option is to some how incorporate it into the center console.

As far as the head unit and HVAC controls, I have some options. The head unit will most likely just go below the tablet in the center console. My only concern about that is vibration from the mid bass. I'm sure that's something I'll work out though. The other issue is the HVAC controls.

If I do go ahead and remove the center seat and do a completely new center console to replace it with, then I'll need a center storage area. I'm thinking I'll most likely put them there, either in the face of it, or inside of it. I'll have to wait and see. I have no idea what they look like behind them, or anything. I may be forced to leave them where they are. Ceiling mounting is an option as well.

Also what removing the center seat does for me, is gives me a place to put my components for the tablet install. I have a converter and other stuff to put in there to make it work with everything. I'll get to that in a minute.

I'm gonna work on those console designs some more! Again, more sketch up work to be done!

Now we'll move to the last part! This is the center seat back, also used as the center console storage area and holes posing as cup holders! Although these pieces of crap won't hold a cup of coffee barely let alone a big cup of some sort! I'm not sure who was on the design committee but they should've lost their jobs over this one! Waste of space.......end rant!!

So here it is from the front, folded up! You've seen it folded down.

DSC05646.jpg

Then here it is from the back, folded up again. What do you think would possibly fit in there that I've not gone over yet!?!

DSC05645.jpg

Anyone?

Need a hint?

Recall I have a tablet with movie capability and we're talking about long travel time!

Here you go!

10" HDMI Monitor baby!!

10inchmonitor.jpg

Now I can run movies up front on the tablet and the kids can see them in the back with no problems. Won't impede sight out of the back window/rear view mirror using a flip down, and I don't have to cut up the seats for headrest monitors.

Again, more sketch up drawings to do! I'm gonna be busy!!!

That's really all I've got on the design so far. I have lots of computer time to put in drawing it up, and figuring things out. I love sketch up for the fact that you can use your measurements and find out if it's gonna fit or not. This is a huge help for decision making!

So I'm got some things to do still. The doors are pretty simple I think, considering their flat canvas! There will be two 6.5's in the fronts for mid range, and a super tweet as well. In the rear doors, I'll do one 6.5 and super tweet. The subs themselves will handle mid bass, and I think it will be fine coming from the front anyway.

So that's about it. I'll be back with more later when I get a chance to work on it!

I did get some stuff in already, and all my gear is ordered with exception of the sub amps, and power stuff. I need to for sure get a battery for the front for when the mids and highs stuff is done. But I still need an alternator, and batteries for the back as well. So for the most part things are here, and I certainly have enough to get started on working. So that will all start soon!

Here's the newest arrival in shipment:

199.jpg

200.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

These things are beastly. Heavy and seem to be well built! I can't wait to get them glassed in the doors and hear em!

I already have my tablet as you saw. The head unit is on it's way. I ordered another pair of those 6.5's for the rear doors, all the tweets are on their way, the amps shipped yesterday, and the head unit should be here soon as well! As more comes in, I'll be posting those up! Same with the drawings!

ALOT more to come soon!

Again you can comment in my build thread and follow along with the behind the scenes chatter here: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/138402-1994-ford-f350-crew-cab-soundstream-dc-audio-build-slowwww/

Ok so............I GOT A HUGE DELIVERY TODAY!!! Actually was just about to leave for lunch when I got called in for a rush job on a file here at work! While I was doing that, I got an intercom saying I've got a huge delivery that is heavy and could i come get it! Well right now it's Christmas in April, so I said HELLYA!!

This is what I got!

IMG_20120411_122321.jpg

Now before I go any further, I must warn you........................if you're easily aroused, you should grab a tissue and move back away from your computer keyboard! This could get messy!!!!

IMG_20120411_123546.jpg

IMG_20120411_123653.jpg

IMG_20120411_123715.jpg

IMG_20120411_123752.jpg

IMG_20120411_123824.jpg

IMG_20120411_123835.jpg

BUT WAIT.............THERE'S MORE!!!!!!

IMG_20120411_124236.jpg

IMG_20120411_124243.jpg

IMG_20120411_124306.jpg

IMG_20120411_124348.jpg

IMG_20120411_124406.jpg

IMG_20120411_124428.jpg

IMG_20120411_124422.jpg

AND LOOK, HE HAS 3 MORE FRIENDS!!!!!!

IMG_20120411_124517.jpg

So then I finally get to go home for lunch! Went to check on my dog cause this is the first week she's home in the back yard alone.........which sux by the way cause she hates it. But anyway, I drive up to another package! Check this bish out!!!

IMG_20120411_131638.jpg

YA BABY!!!

IMG_20120411_131728.jpg

IMG_20120411_132017.jpg

Look at dat ass!!

IMG_20120411_132127.jpg

IMG_20120411_131842.jpg

Archived