1994 Ford F350 CC BLOW THROUGH - DC and Soundstream

All the way down the side of the box.

DSC05930.jpg

Also when I was at the hardware store, I picked up some hex bolts instead of screws. I was able to get a ratchet in there much easier than a screwdriver. Even a stubby was hard, I dropped it down in the fender well, which is why I had to pull the liner.

DSC05931.jpg

Battery tray finished and mounted! Sure am happy with how it turned out!

DSC05932.jpg

From under the well

DSC05933.jpg

Ah yes, it's a tight fit, but it's all in! Some of these wires are going to get changed here real soon too. Big 3 coming shortly, not this weekend, but in the next couple weeks.

DSC05934.jpg

The goods, waiting to go to they're new home.

DSC05935.jpg

One snuggled in!

DSC05937.jpg

And they're home!

DSC05938.jpg

So I have buss bars for these, however, I didn't get the hardware with them. So I have to pick some up. I grabbed some earlier today but I grabbed the wrong thread type. So I had to temporarily get one battery hooked back up so I could move the truck. Mama wanted the garage! Not even arguing that one!

DSC05939.jpg

They look good in there! They'll look even better with some aluminum buss bar bling!

DSC05940.jpg

And finally the cables in the truck.

DSC05941.jpg

That's all I got for tonight. Not sure if I'll have more time tomorrow but I just ran out of gas to get it finished tonight. That box is a beast to lift on my own, and I didn't wanna risk puncturing a sub or scratching an amp. So I'll see if I can get it in tomorrow and running.

Sorry about the pics guys, I'm gonna send Photobucket an email asking WTF is going on. This is happening a lot lately! Not sure if it's just their site, if I have too many photos in my account, or what the hell it is! We'll find out. Or I'll just have to switch over, cause I'm tired of it frankly!

Good night all!

If you'd like to follow along with the behind the scenes chatter or comment on the build, check out my build log linked in my signature.

So I got some parts in today from Summit Racing. I know, for the audio forums, this isn't an audio update, but it's still a build log. So I'm logging my build.

IMG_20120712_092333.jpg

Power Steering Pump

IMG_20120712_092453.jpg

IMG_20120712_092556.jpg

IMG_20120712_092609.jpg

Steering Gear Box with instructions on how to change it and bleed the system.

IMG_20120712_092750.jpg

IMG_20120712_092804.jpg

Lastly a new fuel filter, Just got a new oem one.

IMG_20120712_092712.jpg

So for those that didn't know, I had some leaking issues with my steering box. I have horribly loose steering, and there's some whining coming from it as well. So in this project of rebuilding my truck, I thought what the hell, let's just replace it all.

This is what the steering box looks like currently, along with the pitman arm which is getting replaced when I do the suspension in the next couple weeks.

DSC05531.jpg

DSC05530.jpg

The Fram filter has been changed out already....see! Also a better pic of the gear box.

IMG00565-20110801-0811.jpg

Also to the suspension, these are what the tie rod ends look like that are getting replaced. They're all like this. I'd really like to get some of the stuff painted or powder coated, but maybe I'll do that later down the road when I get it painted.

DSC05532.jpg

So that's about it. I'm going to see about getting the power steering pump, steering box, and the fuel filter installed this weekend. If I don't feel good about it, then I'll have them do it when they do the suspension.

That's it for now. Thanks.

Check out my build log, linked in my signature, to hear all the behind the scenes chatter. Thanks for checking it out!

Ok folks here we go! I did a TON of work yesterday on this thing! I got some mechanical work done as well as audio work done! My brake system on this truck is now all 95% new, only leaving the rear soft hoses to the rear brakes, and the brake booster left to change if there are any more issues. Yesterday I spent the majority of the day running around for a damn hose that NOONE in sac had! I finally found one. I needed a driver side one that had two ports in it, one from the master cylinder, and one to the passenger caliper. So I changed those hoses, and the front calipers, and also managed to change out the fuel filter.

In between all that, I was working on the audio in bits and pieces. So here we go! I actually took most of the finished pics this morning instead of last night. There just was no light last night to do it. Besides that it was 11:30 when I got done and I was just too tired to deal with it. I did get some in progress pics though too.

So my brother helped me hoist the beast into the truck on Friday. I just had it sitting back there till yesterday and then I put some screws through it into the back wall to hold it up. It's pretty solid.

DSC05948.jpg

DSC05949.jpg

Then I got to wiring the bundle to the front.

This was down the side of the box. Let me explain something for a second. I probably should've ran the speaker wires up front, but I didn't. I decided, since I wasn't going to have rear speakers, as you'll see in some of the pics, I might as well make things a little bit easier on me for this, and tap into those. So that's what I did. Those rear speaker wires, will get connected to the fronts behind the head unit. The head unit speaker outs will be disconnected. This is also going to come into play later, and I'll get to that, then.

DSC05950.jpg

DSC05952.jpg

DSC05953.jpg

DSC05955.jpg

DSC05956.jpg

Finally the bundle up front ready to be put away!

DSC05957.jpg

Decided to utilize this little pocket under my dash for the sub knob. I drilled a little hole in the top or under side of it. Then ran the cable in.

DSC05961.jpg

All the other cables went in to the head unit area to be connected.

DSC05963.jpg

So last night I was able to actually get it up and running and playing. I had some issues though, big time issues. Here's a pic of what she looks like at night!

DSC05964-1.jpg

So my issues. A little tip, always pay attention first of all, but when you're tired, and working on 3 different projects at one time, you have to pay extra special attention. What ended up happening was I had the 4 channel amp cutting out at the first bass note of every song. It was driving me nuts. It'd go into protect and I just couldn't figure it out. On top of that, when it was playing the right side was not working at all! I was getting frustrated, it was 11:00 at night and my brain couldn't process what was going on!

So to troubleshoot, I pulled the head unit to make sure my connections were ok, and alas they were not! I managed to get the left channels correct but the right channels I managed to connect the rears to rears and fronts to fronts! Basically connecting the neg and pos together! Probably could've been really a lot worse than it was! SO, I got it corrected and it's very nice now! Whew!

So these are the pics I took this morning! This is of the power and ground cables I ran last night. Like I said, too dark to really get em last night.

DSC05966.jpg

DSC05967.jpg

DSC05968.jpg

Another view of it all in!

DSC05969.jpg

And what it's looking like with the seat up. I really think, looking at this, that i'm going to have to make a trim panel for it. The truck is up high, and will be higher, and I bought window tint this weekend too, for all the windows, even the top of the windshield, but that's all not going in for a while. It's still pretty visible. I did a walk by test, and you really can't see it unless you're looking for it, but it's parked in my driveway at home, and if someone is up looking at it, they're looking for something! So I'll need to address that as well as get my alarm in ASAP!

DSC05970.jpg

View of the port!

DSC05971.jpg

View of the front! Head unit playing, and the sub knob on the bottom there in the cubby.

DSC05972.jpg

DSC05973.jpg

DSC05974.jpg

And now.....you know what time it is! Let's get it tested out with the DD-1!

DSC05975.jpg

First was to see what our signal was like!

DSC05976.jpg

Check this out! 40hz

DSC05977.jpg

THAT'S RIGHT! You're seeing that correctly! 100% clean signal from max output on the DEH-80PRS baby!

DSC05978.jpg

Let's try 1khz

DSC05979.jpg

YES SIR! AGAIN!!

DSC05980.jpg

Now it's time to tune the amps. 4channel first!

DSC05981.jpg

DSC05982.jpg

Then the BEAST!!

DSC05983.jpg

Finally a little battery shot! Still only one battery running! I really really need that bigger alt, and a tender. So I'll get on that between now and when I come back. As you can see on the head unit I'm only running around 13.3 when it's on, that should be much higher. So that's gonna have to be addressed.

IMG_20120716_100930.jpg

Finally, what you've been waiting for......................VIDEOS!!

I did these with my Sony Cybershot camera, POS! I should've done them with my phone cause I could've at least got them on youtube. Oh well, here you go!

th_MOV05984.jpg

th_MOV05985.jpg

So that's it.

So what are my impressions so far?

Well I'm mildly satisfied. I think on the video I said I was pretty happy with it, and I think I am considering the type an caliber of install this is. I keep telling myself it's only temporary, and that's what it is. I'm happy with the 8's so far, considering this is the first time they've seen any power. They need to break in a little bit and get a little looser. That will help things out. The coaxials up front sound better than they ever have. Power does wonders!

So for the system I'm overall pretty happy with it. I'm not the best at tuning and frankly don't have the time currently to get it dialed in 100%. But for where it is right now, I'm pretty good with it. Feels like the subs get a little loose on the lower notes and could be causing some distortion. I'll need to dial that in for sure.

The only other thing I really need to address is the amp rattle. It's bad. I drove into work this morning and that was in the foreground over the bass. That's just not acceptable. So I'll address that with some rubber feet and a piece of mat on the back side of it. The other thing I'm NOT AT ALL happy with, is the fan on the 2500. That thing is so freaking loud when you start it up, it's gonna irritate the hell out of me. I'm gonna have to do something about that or I may have to switch up equipment. It's that bad. Maybe I can change the fan in it, I don't know. But if that's just the way they are, I'm gonna have two of these monsters in here soon, and it's gonna sound like a damn jet liner going by when I turn them on!

So those are really the only issues thus far. There's really nothing left for this except to get that second battery connected. I was going to use the buss bars I got with the batteries, but due to the way they're installed, I can't use them. I need them to be about another 1/4 - 3/8" apart for the bars to fit. So, I'll do it the old fashioned way, or I"ll make my own bars. I have the stock, just need to do it.

That's it for this project. I'll update when I have more of the little stuff done, but from here on out, I'll be doing the other main projects for the main build! It gets REALLY REAL from here on out!

I go on vacation Wednesday to Friday, then again, next Wednesday through August 2nd. When I get back from that second trip, the sub enclosure will then begin!

Thanks for checking it out guys! Hope you liked it!

To check out the behind the scenes chatter or comment on the build, check out my build log which is linked below in my signature.

Almost forgot my assistant for all this!

This is my 11 month old Boxer Grace. I'm training her to be out front and not be on leash, but right now I have her on a 20' leash so she knows when she gets to the end of the yard, she can't go any further. She's so fun! Anyway, she hung out with me all day yesterday out front while I did all this work!

DSC05946.jpg

Ok so here's what's going down. I had to pull the 1.2500, it was rattling like crazy and had a crazy high pitched sound at first start up. So it's going back. Got the 1.1600D in and tuned and working great. I also had to rewire a couple things cause the 1.2500D took 1/0 ga inputs and this one takes 4ga inputs. Got the second battery hooked up, and I think we're good to go. Not gonna explain too much, just show some pics.

From this

DSC05986.jpg

To this

DSC05987.jpg

DSC05988.jpg

Couple cables to connect the batteries

DSC05989.jpg

an extra for a ground

DSC05990.jpg

heat shrunk

DSC05991.jpg

Done