Second Skin Audio

torres question

ok so in the # of common port walls if im making a "L" port for a single 15 would that be 3 common walls? or would it be 4

second, when i put it into the length where it turns would that be included in the "port length" too?

E/ and can you have to much port area? XD

Edited by HotRodHam

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

The common port walls box refers to the top, bottom, left, and right sides of the port, therefore it should be three...

When you type in port length, that is the length following the center of the port back, and then into the box since it will be in an "L" shape. Physical port length is the physical length of the wood used to create your desired length.

Corrected. :ninja:

Edited by Cashdollar2009

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

ef17Q.png

5RnN0.png

is this box a big no? or would it work n sound good

for a 15" RF P3 sonic says 2.66 max for ported enclosure.

Edited by HotRodHam

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

this question is asked so often. please read the help window, it's explained in there. even includes links to pictures. put in 4 common walls and see what happens with the output boxes. the common port walls box refers to the top, bottom, left, and right sides of the port, nothing with the walls inside the box

EDIT: and yes, you can have too much port area. and in that type of box, it should be 3 common port walls, not 2. also looks like you need to put a 1 in the 'extra baffles' box judging from the sketchup

Edited by Torres

go to the bottom of the calc and click help.down at the bottom of there there are links to what your looking for man.and yes that would be 3 common port walls,at least thats how i take it from whats shown..and iirc you want to keep it between 13-16 sq in per ft

ninja'd by torres himself lol

Edited by ineeDBass419

xbox 360 gamertag-greenrocks420

Not insulting you or anything, but did you just call us "bloody winging fairies" ?

this question is asked so often. please read the help window, it's explained in there. even includes links to pictures. put in 4 common walls and see what happens with the output boxes. the common port walls box refers to the top, bottom, left, and right sides of the port, nothing with the walls inside the box

EDIT: and yes, you can have too much port area. and in that type of box, it should be 3 common port walls, not 2. also looks like you need to put a 1 in the 'extra baffles' box judging from the sketchup

no i designed the box from specs in calc. then pulled the front plate .75" forward. i read the help notes on ur thing before posting this this was just a precationary measure ;)

changed the # of port walls to 3 dropped the tuning to 32.57 and the port per in^2 to 23.02. is this to much port area?

if so took me 5 min to make this box design on sketchup. ill just work on getting closer to 16 per sq. in.

E: changed the length to 30 and width to 3.75 on port and changed the tuning to almost 34Hz dead on and 16.47 Cu. In.

damn forgot to take into affect that the net volume went to 3.5 XD is that bad for a p3? cuz sonicelectronics recomends no smaller or bigger then 2.66 n i always though 3.5 was wat the average 15 needed

Edited by HotRodHam

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

The generic number used is anywhere between 12-16in^2 per ft^3 for a slot port. With too much port area you will have somewhat of a "peaky" response and your power handling will drop since you would have a much greater risk of unloading issues where your driver will bottom out at frequencies lower than tuning a lot more easily. For the Fosgate P3 series i'd probably aim for around 14in^2.

Your height is fine as you subtracted 1.5" because of wood thickness, just slim the width up to drop port area, and that will take substantial length off of your port man. 50" is crazy long. lol

Your height is fine as you subtracted 1.5" because of wood thickness, just slim the width up to drop port area, and that will take substantial length off of your port man. 50" is crazy long. lol

ninjad u ^^ look 3 posts up haha sealing at the trunk so i wanna keep it at 36 wide

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

Damn you. lol

And when I said to slim the width, I meant to slim to port width to drop the port area number down.

And 3.5ft^3 is just a generically thrown around number. A lot of drivers may fit into that category, but not all of them. My 15" DC Audio XL wanted 3.0ft^3, but I was also running 2.5k to it. When I sold it to buy another identical sub down the road, I had 500wrms to work with, so it like 4ft^3 for the time being. DC recommends 3.5ft^3 I believe. It is typically application variant.

The P3 though is made from smaller and lighter soft parts than those of your typical brands you see being thrown around on here. We sell Rockford Fosgate at our shop so i've been able to play around with them a bit. I'd honestly aim for around 2.5ft^3 as long as you only planned to run rms power to it. What amplifier are you planning to run in your application?

And nice car, I used to own an Alero back in the day. lol

Ignore the wing... lol