1996 Ford Explorer Build, Full Alpine, 2 12" Type E's, 1/0 gauge big 3 soon!

Next was a steering wheel cover I bought for myself, because the factory wrap that it had was falling apart. I don't think that I mentioned this, but I did it, and it is apart of my truck, and alters how it looks. Next is seat covers, but I cannot find decent ones for cheap.

I 'll start with the before. I know not horrible, but it bothered me, and it felt not right in my hands.

15j7o2.jpg

u9fs1.jpg

Every corner was peeling like this.

i57og3.jpg

The new shiny one! since I am a huge ford fan, and it matched the color, I decided to buy it.

315zq1j.jpg

And this helped too. Thanks Meijer! :D

346vorb.jpg

All done, it literary took me 2 minutes. I would have taken 30 seconds if I didn't take pictures.

207ud0p.jpg

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

Now the important part! What I did here was mock up everything that I needed to install on the backing panels in my truck. 2 amps, and 2 distribution blocks. Sure I can hide them somewhere, but I want to show off a little bit. once again although nobody has given a single opinion about my system, I am still open to everything.

Going to start with the back, where the subs will be. but instead of being forward facing they will be rearward facing. I had them this way for room.
2eey1aq.jpg

Now that most of the stuff is out of the way you can see my mounting surface.
2v1lys8.jpg

Driver side flap/mounting surface
67vaqf.jpg

Passenger side mounting surface
33ufrxk.jpg

Taking some measurements, they are not really important here, they are mainly for me to center, and align everything.
2zg7l2b.jpg

Here is my setup, this is not a for sure thing, just a mock-up, so I can get some ideas. Once again please feel free to make a suggestion.
10mtope.jpg

And my planned wire layout, I really like the look of the wires actually being shown, instead of them magically appearing right where they need to be.
2i9m9s.jpg

So there it is so far, please add some feedback for me, I am open to any suggestions.

And yes I know the wires are not to scale, I didn't want to mess around on Paint for an hour making it look right.

Now the most recent update on my Explorer. I finally installed my CB radio!!!! Not the one I had previously (Midland Model 13-882B), but one that I found at Goodwill for $5 (Radioshack TRC-502). The CB itself is not great, but it is small, I could install it without cutting, or messing with anything, and most importantly was cheap.

I'll start with the Antenna. It's a Hi-Gain Hellcat 3, which is an older, and by older I mean 70's antenna.

i3hp5g.jpg

t4vknb.jpg

Next of course is the wiring, for both antenna, and the power for the Radio itself.

this here is the cable for the antenna coming into the cab, trust me I am not a big fan of the tape either.

2s7al1s.jpg

2s86803.jpg

34y7am8.jpg

rbw1tk.jpg

It them goes into the dash where it is tucked away, so I did not get any photos of that.

Now for the wiring for the power. this is mainly a temporary setup, until I can get some money together for the radio I really want, so I made everything easily removable.

For simply power I just used the hidden 12 volt accessory outlet.

1041egj.jpg

flzrit.jpg

This is my quick disconnect, incase I want to quickly hook up another CB, all my other CBs have the same plug.

jkyt0k.jpg

And of course I fused it. Sort of a bad picture I know, but my camera took 5 unfocused photos.

30t5e20.jpg

The clearance I had with the wires for mounting the radio, I had to put it lower so the center console lid would close.

308fmvs.jpg

The Mic mount I sort of made up by accident, I just set it there while I was tuning it, and it works great, I didn't even have to drill any holes. :D

34t7ozn.jpg

70gz7p.jpg

As for the speaker, I just faced it out the tissue box hole, and it projects perfectly. I never had tissues in it anyway. The radio also did not have an external speaker jack, so I had to find something, and this works great.

2yxpytc.jpg

2wfvm0z.jpg

The final product. I did not have to drill, screw, or mess with anything, with the exception of the little cut for the entrance for the antenna wire. the radio itslef is actually wedged between the center console, and the cut holder plastic, and it does not move at all.

hwlst1.jpg

And yes I know it is in backwards, I had to so that the speaker would face out the tissue whole, and I am getting used to reading numbers upside down.

msel1e.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Just a quick update, tomorrow, weather permitting I will be running the positive cable, and mounting the fuse holder. Along with the RCA's for the Sub amp, and the remote wire. I also plan on wiring up the subs so that they read 2ohms, I could do this outside the box, but I prefer to do it inside the box and solder everything. The way there are set up now they have cheap clips, and actually fall off when ever I take the subs out. I will also be sealing up the box with some sealer. Not sure what yet, but I will see that Home Depot has tomorrow. I know it is a crappy prefab box, but I prefer to get the best out of it, and have no air leaks, considering it is a sealed box.

For now I am off to bed, because I have a lot to do tomorrow. Although nobody is giving any input, I am still open.

I got the Amp hooked up and working. along with the subs. for now I did everything as temporary setup, with the exception of the amp, RCAs, and remote wire. I just ran the 8 gauge for power. I realized that I was going way to fast with the project, and was spending money I really did not have, so I just hooked up everything so it works, but is also safe, and reliable. This is because It will be fall and winter soon and I won't have much time to work on this project between school and work. So I just wanted to have my subs to work before I get overwhelmed. so for the next few months I will be real slow on updates, sorry. I will try and post some pictures tomorrow of how I did everything. I would also love to see some input guys, I know I am new and not doing a huge system, but I love input and criticism.

Also does anybody have any particular reason to face the subs forward, or rearward? for now I have them facing forward, and man do they sound good, wondering if I placed them twords the rear if it would effect anything?

Thanks again for any input, I am now one happy basshead.

After about a week of listening, to break everything in, I finally turned the system way up, and DAMN! It sounded better then I expected. Even with everything temporarly hooked up, I was impressed. now that the bass shakes, I notice the highs not being so loud, but when I do finally hook up the other amp, that will really help that out. I have gotten many compliments from my friends on it, which is nice. I will try and post some pictures up soon. I recently went back to school this week, and am working full time, so getting free time to even post pictures is hard for me.

I do have a few things to ask though, with the box being sealed is that making the bass sound more boomy, then tight? Also does rearward facing, make a difference, It is still forward facing, and it sounds great, just wondering if it make a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry..but what is in here that is eligible for SOTM??

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

sorry..but what is in here that is eligible for SOTM??

Well not much really, I have hooked up the Subs, and mounted the amp, it looks clean, although all the "Custom Work" won't be done until next spring, I have many ideas, just no money, and no time because of school. I honestly am maybe 50% done, and I felt stupid after I read the rules and saw "at least 95% finished".

• 7 months later...

Slight update! I picked up a pair of 12inch Alpine Type Es, they are second generation, so I am doing some box modifications, it will be sealed again, because I really like the sound the sealed boxes produce. I will be posting a write up of everything I do for that, and an install of it, although that won't be much, I will also finally clean up the wires, and show how I mounted my amp, and everything else. Once again, it is not much, but it is mine, and for me it's loud enough. :D Thanks everybody for viewing my thread. Like always I am open to suggestions, ideas, or criticism, just non of that crap saying my stuff is junk because it is not a certain brand, ect.

Well I got the box done, and installed, so I am actually getting this all set up a lot faster then I expected. Time for some Pictures!!!!

This is the box that came with the Type E's, it is a dual chamber sealed box. 1.0 cubic feet per chamber, it was made by a company called Bass Slammer....

This is the way I got the box, all I did was take out the subs.

vsdlds.jpg

10hk5dk.jpg

Do you see what I see?

2wqamc1.jpg

Yea, I was pretty speechless for this one.

35jhzpy.jpg

Same on the other chamber, although this time I expected it.

14snn0w.jpg

Yea, green is no good... Still not sure how it really happened.

dg79s0.jpg

They had to go...

xpx4qx.jpg

aaaaannnnnddddd gone!

huq104.jpg

Much better!

124vqrk.jpg

GOLD!

33lfhpy.jpg

Archived