1996 Ford Explorer Build, Full Alpine, 2 12" Type E's, 1/0 gauge big 3 soon!

You can skip this first post, this was before I knew what I was doing, and I didn't have any money, if you scroll down you can see my alternator upgrade kit, and everything else I installed.

Well after much time, research, and money. I have finally assembled almost all of the components of my build. I tried to do this on a budget, but what I wanted got in the way, so I spent quite a lot more then I wanted to. First the gear that I have, and then a few questions if anybody might have the answers.

Headunit: Alpine CDE-HD137BT
Door Speakers: Alpine SPS-517 (X4)
Sub Amp: Alpine MRP-M500
Door Speaker Amp: XM-4045
Subs: MTX Thunder 6000 series 10" (X2)

Now I know the Sony is old, but it works great, it was cheap, and it was in a car owned by an older person, so it did not get much abuse. As for the subs, yes they are old, but they,like the amp where very very cheap. I also happen to have a pair of very old JBL GT-102D's from the same owner as the Sony amp.

My questions are simple, but I just want to get the best bang for my buck, without buying junk. Now that I am on the border of my limit, money is tight, so cost effective would be a great help.

Q1: What is a cheap, easy to install, and reliable volt meter? (cosmetics would be nice too, I have a black and dark tan interior, with green lighting.)

Q2: What battery should I get? I do plan on upgrading, but to what. please remember that I am on a tight budget, and that I can only spend around $150-$180. I was speaking to my local shop, and he suggested an Optima (Out of my Price Range), or a Interstate Power Pup. (more in my price range, but never delt with interstate before.)

Q3: I already have an 130amp Alternator, and upgrading is not an option anytime soon, I plan on doing the "Big 3" I already have what I believe is 8 gauge, possibly 6, not certain, but it is much larger then I expected from the factory. Regardless What should I run for my cables? Everybody says use 0 gauge, but I cannot afford that, plus I am not doing SPL, and my system should not draw enough power to need 0 gauge wire. I was considering just going 4 gauge, which is what my amp accepts, and I figure why go any bigger then what my amp can handle. Opinions?

That you all for help, I will post some pictures up soon, and I will begin the build right after I get these last few things.

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

OK, so after researching for a while. I found this(http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46311_Stinger-SVMB.html) Voltmeter to monitor my volts. Granted it is not green to match my dash lights, but it looks good, and is decently priced, it also has a key switched power, so it does not stay on all the time.

Still sort of in the air about the battery. looking at prices and finding battery's for my truck that are $400!!! That is more then half of what I paid for my entire system so far. So any suggestions would be helpful.

The Cable I am going to be using for the "Big 3" Is going to be 4 Gauge, unless somebody thinks I would need to go bigger for any reason. Plus my local store has high strand, real nice wire for the same price as online, and I don't have to pay for shipping.

I still have a question about battery Terminals, I see some for $25+ for one, that just look like a cheap component with a lot of places to put wire. What I am going for is a nice clean install, without using 4 different ring connectors on my battery terminal. So i guess my question is, What is a decently priced Battery Terminal, that has at least 3, 8 gauge spots for wire, and that also looks clean?

Once again, any input would be great. I understand I am still sort of new here, but we all started at the bottom at one point in time, and we all needed help. I would enjoy some comments, and even somebody telling me I am doing it all wrong, if I actually am. Also I plan on putting up pictures of the gear I have soon. I am working a lot, and I am dead tired when I get home.

Nice man. It is a lot smaller then I thought it would be. It will fit perfect to the right of my gauge cluster.

On another note. I have found all the questions answered.

My Battery is going to be a Interstate Battery's Mega-Tron Plus. I found out I did not need a HO Battery, and I found my local Hardware Store is a dealer, and has the exact Battery in stock. I am Also going to be grabbing my Battery Terminals from Knukonceptz, because it seems they have everything I need, at a good price. I will be getting a Stinger Volt Meter, unless Steve releases a price for his own. As for the wiring I am going to be running 4 Gauge for the "Big 3". I will also be running 4 Gauge all the way back to my Amps, and split it with a distribution block.

Now I just have to save up some more money, and buy all the stuff, so in about a month I will have everything, and a update on my build, if anybody is even following. As for now, I have to replace one of my o2 Sensor, and then pass emissions.

ok man....Ive been where you are...big dreams and small wallet. On the good side you have one of the loudest vehicles on earth to use so you're WAY ahead of the game.

as for voltage gauges....theyre all just as easy to install as one another....three wires. power, ground and illumination to your dimmer switch...or to make things even more simple you can just jump your ign power wire right to the illumination so it wont dim but will stay at full brightness as long as you have ign power and the gauge is working. Saves you a little bit of work. However at your stage it might be a good experience to tap your power from your dimmer switch properly so you get a bit more experience and confidence.

As for the gauge itself try ebay...its a super simple gauge so even the cheap-0 ones will work just fine. Ive had the cheapos and ive spent $50 on the autometer cobalt digital ones and they both do the same shit.

Big three you could get away with 4 gauge. The only thing ill say is that car audio is an addictive hobby. Before long youll be upgrading so you may be spending more money in the end doing it with 4 gauge now and needing 0 gauge later. Plus if you shop around you can find 0 gauge for plenty cheap. Look for welding cable at welding supply stores for instance...instead of car audio wire.

For your batt...you dont need anything too special....your alt will do all the work. All the batt does is start your truck and let the electrical system run with the truck off. Good batts do get damn expensive though thats for sure.

I did fairly well with my explorer and had many many different setups in that thing in the two short years that I had it.

Ive had mine completely ripped apart aswell so feel free to pm me any questions you have about the truck itself or the setup. Particularly enclosures...i do designs in my spare time...and builds but shipping is rough so designs are easier unless ur local. Not trying to advertise just lending a helping hand.

Most important thing to remember...dont cut corners...do your install properly...1 time so you dont have to go back and re-do things.

Deadening your doors makes a huge difference in the way those mids will sound so id look into that when you get a bit more cash on hand. Dynamat extreme is cheap on ebay sometimes.

Get yourself a good PORTED box built for those subs....once you have a solid design...you could build the box yourself super easily for VERY cheap if you feel so inclined. PM me if youre interested in more info on that.

good luck

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
********LOOKING FOR NEW GROUND POUNDER TO BUILD********

1981 Malibu Wagon - Iron Block LS, Single Turbo, Nitrous, 6 Speed, Pump Gas, street car. --UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Goals are to make 1000 rwhp and 9 second quarter mile

1997 Explorer 157.8. Street C 2nd place 2007 San Mateo dbdrag world finals. (totalled)

ok man....Ive been where you are...big dreams and small wallet. On the good side you have one of the loudest vehicles on earth to use so you're WAY ahead of the game.

as for voltage gauges....theyre all just as easy to install as one another....three wires. power, ground and illumination to your dimmer switch...or to make things even more simple you can just jump your ign power wire right to the illumination so it wont dim but will stay at full brightness as long as you have ign power and the gauge is working. Saves you a little bit of work. However at your stage it might be a good experience to tap your power from your dimmer switch properly so you get a bit more experience and confidence.

As for the gauge itself try ebay...its a super simple gauge so even the cheap-0 ones will work just fine. Ive had the cheapos and ive spent $50 on the autometer cobalt digital ones and they both do the same shit.

Big three you could get away with 4 gauge. The only thing ill say is that car audio is an addictive hobby. Before long youll be upgrading so you may be spending more money in the end doing it with 4 gauge now and needing 0 gauge later. Plus if you shop around you can find 0 gauge for plenty cheap. Look for welding cable at welding supply stores for instance...instead of car audio wire.

For your batt...you dont need anything too special....your alt will do all the work. All the batt does is start your truck and let the electrical system run with the truck off. Good batts do get damn expensive though thats for sure.

I did fairly well with my explorer and had many many different setups in that thing in the two short years that I had it.

Ive had mine completely ripped apart aswell so feel free to pm me any questions you have about the truck itself or the setup. Particularly enclosures...i do designs in my spare time...and builds but shipping is rough so designs are easier unless ur local. Not trying to advertise just lending a helping hand.

Most important thing to remember...dont cut corners...do your install properly...1 time so you dont have to go back and re-do things.

Deadening your doors makes a huge difference in the way those mids will sound so id look into that when you get a bit more cash on hand. Dynamat extreme is cheap on ebay sometimes.

Get yourself a good PORTED box built for those subs....once you have a solid design...you could build the box yourself super easily for VERY cheap if you feel so inclined. PM me if youre interested in more info on that.

good luck

Thanks. I don't plan on walling my truck, or going excessively huge. The largest I ever plan to go is maybe 2 15". I am pretty set on the Stinger gauge, I really like the digital display, instead of the sweeping gauges. I also already planned on doing it right once. I cannot stand doing a cheap, fast job on my own daily driver. I for now want something that is not the crappy stock radio, and that I can show those high school kids that drive by my house how crappy their Walmart systems are. I was tossing around the idea of using some Peel and Seal in the doors, because I simply cannot afford real sound damping. As for the box, I have a dual chamber seal enclosure that the subs came in. I already plan on making my very first enclosure for the 2 JBL's I have. If I run into any problem I will for sure send you a PM, I would hate to mess something up.

@UhOh Spaghetioz, Is it just a sticker that comes on it? I think It would be cool to get a Ford, or Explorer sticker to light up like the Stinger logo.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update for everybody. I recently acquired some more stuff for my install, and got a game plan set up, it may change, but it is better then nothing.

What I have so far:

Headunit: Alpine CDE-HD137BT

Door Speakers: Alpine SPS-517 (X4)

Sub Amp: Alpine MRP-M500

Door Speaker Amp: XM-4045

Subs: MTX Thunder 6000 series 10" (X2)

What I got recently:

Interstate MTP-65

Charging system upgrade Kit from Auto Electric Supply (4 gauge kit because my alt is 130 amp, and I am not going huge on my system anytime soon)

Coming soon (Hopefully):

Speaker Wire

4 Gauge power wire

Distribution Blocks

RCA's for the Amps

More stuff I am sure I forgot, and still need....

Plan I have set up for now. In the next week I plan on installing the Door speakers, and Head Unit, since I already have everything to install it. I will just be running the door speakers off the Head Unit, but hopefully not for long. Everything I need, involves the amps for the subs, and door speakers. I will also be installing the new Battery(I know real hard), and the Charging system upgrade kit, so when I get enough money together to buy everything, I can just hook it up and be all set.

Future Upgrades:

Volt Meter, possibly Stinger, but I really like the SMD one, hopefully I can afford it.

CB Radio, not really apart of my system, but I wanted one longer then I wanted this stereo installed.

Well that's about it, in case anybody wanted to know. Getting excited, just waiting, and working until I have enough money.

Slight update, I installed my Head unit, and door speakers over the past 2 days. I know, I know it took forever, but I had no idea I had to run a whole harness from the back passenger side of the truck all the way to the dash, just for the speakers. But I did solder EVERYTHING so no worries about connections, or crappy crimps. On top of the unexpected extra things I did, like tie everything up nicely, solder everything, wrap the whole harness in electrical tape, it was also the high 80's, and 90's the past 2 day, so to say the least I sweated A LOT. I will take picture soon, I know I have been promising them forever, but while installing everything I just did not care to even try.

With the HU and speakers it is 10X better then stock, and I don't even have the speakers powered up fully, and the subs are still not even hooked up. I plan on buying the 4 gauge power wire this Friday, and over the next week running all the power wire through the truck, and installing the charging system upgrade kit. So when I can afford RCA, and speaker wire I can plug and play. Getting closer, hopefully I will be fully installed in 2 to 3 more weeks.

I forgot I took some pictures with my phone, and posted them to Facebook, so finally I have some pictures.

2dkzwvb.jpg

30w45mf.jpg

Well tomorrow, which is now today, I am hopefully running the wire for the Bluetooth Microphone, so I can make hands free calls, and I will be removing the factory 6 disc changer. I actually like the changer a lot. considering it was new in 1996, it lasted a long ass time, but with the control unit integrated with the stock HU, I have no use for it anymore. I will be removing it and be adding it to the rather large box of stuff I have been collecting from the stock components. I may be doing the Charging System Upgrade kit, but that may have to wait until next Friday when I have a day off.

What I might do tomorrow though on top of the Bluetooth mic, and removing more factory stuff is re seal all the door dampening pads which no long have any adhesion to the doors. I was sort of rushing (because I had to be at work in 15 minutes...) while re installing the door panels, and just threw it back together. I also have everything for my CB radio, so I really want to get that going as well. We will see how much time I have tomorrow, and how hot it is. Work is killing me right now I will be going on 8 days of constant working, and I won't get a day off until next Friday, so if the updates are slow, sorry, I am trying. :popcorn:

Archived