Second Skin Audio

Box Type For My Set-Up

Hello Everyone,

I have an '03 Expedition and am going to build a box for my subs. I have done maybe 10 complete system installs, but all boxes I have built have been for the trunks of cars and have been sealed. Since the layout of my SUV is new territory for me, I am hoping to get some opinions on box type.

Subs: 2 RFD2115, Fosgate 15's with dual 2 ohm voice coils and 600W RMS power handling.Fs = 22Hz. According to the RF Spec sheet, a sealed box volume of anywhere from 2.25ft3-5ft3 is acceptable however they say that 2.5ft3 is ideal and a vented enclosure volume of anywhere from 2-4 ft3 though again, according to the spec sheet 2.5ft3 is ideal. they also recomend an fb of 35Hz when going with a vented enclosure.

The amp is a fosgate power bd1500.1 and it will see a 2 ohm load. I don't have the "birth" sheet anymore, but I think it was rated at something like >1700W RMS @ 14.4V/ @ 2ohms.....

The box will be all the way in the back (of course) and I am prepared to dich my 3rd row of seating.

My goal is to be heard from as far away as my equipment will allow, but I do not want to totally sacrifice SQ as I would like a decent frequency response through the appropriate range. I listen to rap/hip hop probably 95% of the time. I guess if I had to put my preferences on a scale I would say SPL would weigh in at about 70% and SQ at about 30%.

Hopefully I have included enough relevant info for you all to give your opinions.

Oh, and replacing my equipment really isn't an option right now due to $ reasons.

Thanks everyone

Archived