Second Personal Build (This will be a slow one)

Alright, kind of an update, I suppose.

I've been playing with other configs and think I'll actually be going with a different case.

In an attempt to keep this thing as small as possible, here's the new config:

Case: Thermaltake Elemtent Q (Mini-ITX)

Mobo: Asus P8H61-I

CPU: Intel i5-3570K

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel (That's all that can fit... Lame)

RAM: G.Skill 2x2GB (Forgot the model number)

Disk 1: Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD

Disk 2: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB

Video: Integrated (Intel HD 4000)

PSU: 200W Thermaltake (It's included in the case)

Optical: Samsung DVD Burner

I'm going integrated video with this for three reasons:

1) Cost

2) The case only has space for a video card that takes up one PCIe slot, so I'd have to get a low end one anyway

3) My current rig is running integrated on a 3570K and I'm playing GTA IV and Battlefield on High (Not Very High, just High) with no issues

The only thing I'm worried about is the power supply.

Is 200W enough to power this thing, or should I look into buying a different one? The only reason I chose that one is because, well, it's included in the case.

edit-

In addition, I'll be modding the case to add an intake fan, as it doesn't come with any. Small cases ftl

Edited by inm
On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

I'm assuming you typing 2570K was a typo because I don't believe that chip even exists. Plus you said HD 4000 which is what is on the 3570K. What follows is based on that assumption.

If this machine isn't for gaming and is just for general use then there's no reason to go with anything stronger that HD 4000. If it's for gaming and you're thinking about possibly upgrading over time but keeping the Mini-ITX form factor then you may want to go with another case. Something like the BitFenix Prodigy (a very-soon-to-release case) would offer up space for a dual-slot graphics card and full power supply and might be perfect for you as it'd give room for expandability while keeping the tiny form factor, however it'd raise the cost as the case is more AND the power supply would be separate, plus you'd be adding a graphics card on top of that.

There is hope for this machine as it's specced out now when it comes to gaming, however.

AMD's Radeon HD 7750 comes in a single-slot flavor and doesn't require a 6-pin PCIe connector (it's powered right off the PCIe slot). Even under a gaming load and paired with an i5 processor, the entire machine would pull less than the 200 watts the power supply is rated for.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150612

Here's a quick graph of the 7750's power consumption under a maxed gaming load. Keep in mind, this test is done with an overclocked 3960X processor (a 130 watt CPU that was likely pulling more than that during this test from the overclock) and it barely scrapes at the 200 watt mark. Your i5-3570K is a 77 watt CPU. Even with a healthy overclock on the i5 you'd be well under what the PSU is rated for.

load%20power.png

Case in point(s):

• If it's for general use, the list you have would be perfect
  • If it's for gaming and you plan on using it until you run it into the groud, add a single-slot 7750 and let 'er rip
  • If it's for gaming and will be upgraded often to keep up with newer games, spend the money to get a better case, bigger PSU, and a graphics card

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

First, yep, I meant 3570K, I'm just so used to typing 2500K I guess... xD

Second, what makes you say Intel HD 4000 wouldn't work? As stated, I'm currently running integrated with no problems in GTA IV and Arkham City on High settings...

To answer the question, yes, this will be for gaming.

2008 Subaru Forester XT

First, yep, I meant 3570K, I'm just so used to typing 2500K I guess... xD

Second, what makes you say Intel HD 4000 wouldn't work? As stated, I'm currently running integrated with no problems in GTA IV and Arkham City on High settings...

To answer the question, yes, this will be for gaming.

Just depends on the games. If you're playing them at the same resolution as her monitor and they're running smoothly at the detail level you want them at, by all means save the money on the GPU. I've just always been one for cranking up everything to maximum.

Just curious, but what resolution DO you play Arkham City at? I can't imagine you're pulling more than 30fps on High settings on integrated graphics unless you've dropped the resolution down a bit.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

My monitor is 1080p (it's actually a tv, but still).

I know GTA is set to 720p, not sure what I ended up on with Arkham City. I believe they are both 720p, although I know I tried 1080p on Arkham, can't remember how well it ran on that though.

2008 Subaru Forester XT