Second Skin Audio

DD z inspired design

there aint no point to have the former that much long than the voice coil when it would be doing nothing at all....And would have way to much air resistance having all that extra metal there to even be used in SPL.

- 1998 Ford Mustang -

Time to rebuild.

4 15s and alot of power

TEAM DTF

and just to let everyone know. Last time i talked to dd was when they released the pics of the new 4 and 6" coil z and they told me the 4" coil Z was in production and there were a couple guys trying them out. But they were having trouble making a 6" coil that would hold up. They went thru the guy who makes the mtx jackhammer coil to make the 6" coil.

- 1998 Ford Mustang -

Time to rebuild.

4 15s and alot of power

TEAM DTF

Looks good!

Didn't DD do a 6" coil, but couldn't find a coil maker that big? I remember seeing a pic of a 6" DD z motor I thought.

So its close to reality lol.

Yup

http://www.stevemead...-inch-dd-coils/

Gotta admit though that their motors with about 11,030 neos and all that motor force is just insane and would put what I had drawn up to shame lol

You might need FS3 excursion technology.

It's far too pro and well beyond my understanding lol

Holy fuck, dude, make it happen.

Nice sketchup skills.

Thanks. If i had the money to get everything custom tooled then hell yeah I would.

A more realistic project though is I'm currently working on a 48 db slope xover so we'll see how that turns out.

I work at a machine shop. Besides the neo, that motor wouldn't be that hard/costly to make. It's a nasty idea for sure. And definitely something I wouldn't wanna recone.

Yeah like you said the steel isn't too big of a deal. and the basket could be machined and bolted together for a one off production then look into casts. The costly part for sure is the neos and then the soft parts would be a bit of a hassle.

you could have share this with any existing company and sell them the patent if they where interested, now they can just steal it for free. lol

Well I figure that this design falls into such a small niche that between the difficulty of manufacturing (let alone recones) and the fact that really the only thing different about this over say the dd z motor is the bottom mounted spider which I doubt anyone would let me patent. I appreciate it though.

Better start building it, i'm a few steps past you already :)

edit - The bottom mounted spider is already patented.. wish more companies would pick up the tech since a single spider location is horrible for linearity..

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Better start building it, i'm a few steps past you already :)

edit - The bottom mounted spider is already patented.. wish more companies would pick up the tech since a single spider location is horrible for linearity..

Originally all this was just posted for fun.. The Sketchup and Motor design was just thrown together in one night. I certainly didn't think that I would be getting such good feedback. As a result though I've gained alot of interest in persuing this and actually properly engineering the thing. So challenge accepted STEvil! haha.

Thanks everyone.