Second Skin Audio

How would I calculate this

I have to bring 110 sq inches of port area into my cabin, unfortunatly I have a convertible motor dead center of my trunk shelf so I need to split the ports, I have cutout the maximum amount of area that can safely be cut out of the trunk pan. I just wonder how irregular shaped ports can be caluculated and if its off a little how much of a difference would it make?

heres a drawing of kind of what im working with,

port.jpg

Well you could either try to divide the area into a bunch of triangles and shit, or you could try this:

1. Trace the shape on a piece of cardboard

2. Draw a grid with lines spaced 1" apart.

3. Count number of squares completely inside the shape. (see pic)

4. Count number of squares partially inside the shaped. (see pic) Divide this number by 2.

5. Add numbers from steps 3 and 4. This is the approximate area in square inches.

Pic:

irregshap.jpg

Here, the shape is the red line. The pink squares are completely inside, and the blue squares are partially inside.

Well you could either try to divide the area into a bunch of triangles and shit, or you could try this:

1. Trace the shape on a piece of cardboard

2. Draw a grid with lines spaced 1" apart.

3. Count number of squares completely inside the shape. (see pic)

4. Count number of squares partially inside the shaped. (see pic) Divide this number by 2.

5. Add numbers from steps 3 and 4. This is the approximate area in square inches.

Pic:

irregshap.jpg

Here, the shape is the red line. The pink squares are completely inside, and the blue squares are partially inside.

Good idea lztybrn. Heres an actual pic of the f'ed up spot i had cut holes.DSC00186.jpg

Archived