Add dashboard speakers or switch to component

nik12937

As of right now I've got Infinity Kappa 6.5 coaxials in my front door and Infinity Kappa 6x9 coaxials in my rear deck, about 90 watts rms to the front and maybe 60 to avoid drawing the soundstage back too far.

I was thinking of adding some 3.5 inch Polk audio DXi's to my dashboard (05 Grand Prix, it's gonna be horrible finding a place to mount them), powering them from my 4 channel Infinity Reference amp (have to be careful with the gains) to improve the soundstage and allow the back speakers to be turned up, and then adding a 2 channel amp just for the back 6x9's so they can finally put out the bass they're capable of.

Should I go ahead and do that, or switch out my front Infinity's for some nice coaxials, and fabricating mounts to mount the tweeters to my A-pillars? I need the extra volume to compensate for my subwoofers, but I'm not sure which will sound louder and which will sound better in terms of SQL and imaging. Thanks for any help!

A kid I know says he's running 3000 watts to an MTX sub. I kept my expectations low since most people think MAX is what the amp produces.

Look in his car, amplifier is not only a BOSS, but says 3000 watts max, 500 watts rms... WHAT?!

IMO i would prefer to have a nice set of components and run them active. I recently made the move to running active and the quality i gained was amazing. Im using an average component set aswel so with a nice pair you could have a great outcome.

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

I felt I'd get that answer :D Hell, I bet the midbass will improve a bunch with a full woofer, and I'll admit that while the Infinty Kappa coaxials sound pretty good and get damn loud with more midbass than I expected, I've never owned components and I hear that they usually are both cleaner AND louder. Plus even with the tweeters turned down, they can still cause some ear fatigue on certain songs :/

Any components that you or anyone else would recommend? I don't want to like, pay out the ass, but I'm willing to pay a bit more than the Infinity's cost, hell, I got the par for like $60-$70 I think? I'd say up to maybe $150 would be reasonable. And in that case I'd still only need 4 channels, the amp I have now does 75W RMS @ 4-ohms and 90W RMS @ 2-ohms, so I may need to "upgrade" that amplifier so I can fully drive the rear 6x9's, they're rated to 110W RMS (2-ohm speakers), so I bet I could do 130-140W RMS.

A kid I know says he's running 3000 watts to an MTX sub. I kept my expectations low since most people think MAX is what the amp produces.

Look in his car, amplifier is not only a BOSS, but says 3000 watts max, 500 watts rms... WHAT?!

Archived