Second Skin Audio

opinion on box plan/system for 2 18's walled in an alero

I was going to buy 8 Autotek m12's, but Sonicelectronix is out of stock so im going to be buying 2 Obsidian 18s and an amp. I'm trying to have it not built inside the car, where i can take off a front door and the seats/console and put it in the back, secure it then put up panels.

Recommended is 5-7 cubes @ 28-32 Hz.

.75" MDF

outside 49.5 x 27 x 23.5

double baffle

port 3.5 x 46.5

13.5" of port per cubic foot

12 NET after displacements @ 34 Hz

threaded rod bracing

2 45 degree corners

mounted with T-nuts

Mechman 270A alt ($450, can you believe that?) and 1 XS battery (also way expensive). Where can I get a cheaper (used?) alt that'll handle ~2200w to subs and ~700w to fronts? Around how many amps would that draw with the 1 XS? Using a solenoid this time.

I sent an email to Obsidian asking about this so I'll have to wait for a response to know what amp I need. I was hoping they'd handle either an AQ 1200 or 2200, something cheapish, 2k or under. Was considering the MB Quart ONX 2k for $240 (it came out to $333 after shipping & border fees). I have a Visonik V900XD that I sent in for a free diagnostic and if it can be fixed within budget than I'll use that with 1/0. I let a friend borrow it years ago and when I hooked it up it smoked.

I'd like to use 2 tweets (50w ea), 2 6.5s (100w ea), 2 8s (200w ea), something like that.

As far as HO alternators go.... That's an amazing price. Batteries, well, you get what you pay for. One D3100 would cut it I think. Or two group 31 Marine Bateries if you wanna be a cheapass. What about a solenoid? Like a battery isolator? Useless, trust me. Especially with the HO alternator. Good luck finding a 270 amp isolator. The audioque's a a very solid choice though.

2015 Subaru Outback. That is all, I refuse to touch it.

The 18's might be out of stock.

A 425A is $599.

I found a local XS dealer. He'll be building the box. I will be using XS.

Singer said his bolt-on alt was 150A @ 800RPM. Mechman says theirs is 165A @ 700A for $10ish more. I don't know how many amps (alt) I'll need (is it 1000W = 100A?), there were no other options other than 270A from Singer & Mechman.

The shop guy suggested a "solenoid" so that when the car is off the amp is only getting power from the dedicated battery so if the voltage drops you can still start the car.

In a thread somewhere the owner of Obsidian (Electrodynamic) said they're safe on 600w (2+ hours full tilt), but can take 1200w for awhile. It's a 2.5" coil.

I didn't get to use my 1500W amp with a good alt & batt so if it can be fixed I'm sure it will surprize me with good electrical.

Nothing wrong with a 2.5" coil. You can honestly run a much smaller alternator for what you are proposing. I mean, go ahead and go big, but it sin't necessary. 150 Amps would be plenty. If you went with the AQ2200D you miiiiight wanna consider the larger one. And yeah, the solenoid is only necssary if this will sit for a week or more at a time without being run. And that's not how they work I'm afraid, it just opens up the current between both of them when th car is on, and closes it when it's off.

2015 Subaru Outback. That is all, I refuse to touch it.

• 1 month later...

Archived