Second Skin Audio

18" Subs

I have a hard time understanding why larger subs sound "sloppy". I have never exerienced this.

If a sub is moving at 35 cycles persecond, it is moving in and out 35 times a second, regardless of wheather it is a 8" sub or a 22" sub....

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

Because with a larger, therefore heavier, woofer, the diaphragm may continue to move after the cycle has ben completed. It may only move a fraction of a centimetre, but that fraction every cycle is enough to add unwanted colour to the sound. Some guitar speakers and instrument amplification use heavier diaphragm drivers to deliberately color the sound.

It also has to do with your amplifier's damping factor, but that is irrelevant to this topic.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Because with a larger, therefore heavier, woofer, the diaphragm may continue to move after the cycle has ben completed. It may only move a fraction of a centimetre, but that fraction every cycle is enough to add unwanted colour to the sound. Some guitar speakers and instrument amplification use heavier diaphragm drivers to deliberately color the sound.

It also has to do with your amplifier's damping factor, but that is irrelevant to this topic.

Cheers,

Mick

though your answer is well thought out im going to have to disagree though the mms is greater does not mean larger woofers will sound slopper or muddy for that matter... alot has to do with the overall design of the subwoofer and the enclosure for that matter.. yes the damping factor does play a key part in the control of the woofer but that has nothing to do with the actually subwoofer itself... either way a 12 " can get just as deep as an 18" in the proper enclosure and a 18" can get just as crisp sounding ...

That is correct sir. I use 18" woofers, and nothing smaller. Seeing as I use the woofers in a pro audio situation, I do not want the lower piston area per watt associated with 15" bass drivers. I also prefer the handling, performance and sound of a larger cone transducer over a smaller cone transducer.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320