Sonic Electronix

Subs, and Cargo covers in SUVs

Well it took me a long time to find one, but I finally got a cargo cover for my '96 Explorer for $15 at my local junk yard. After installing it I got to thinking, would this cover effect the sound of the subs. One of my buddies said that it could possibly act like a passive radiator. Although not sealed, like a passive system it may pick up some frequency's.

I have a smaller system, with 2 12 inch MTX subs, in a sealed box. Has anybody with a smaller system noticed any differences with the cover over the subs, or it is pretty much the same? I want to keep the cover over the subs and amps to keep eyes from seeing it who have bad things in mind.

I am not sure if this has ever been covered before, but it is something to think about. If nobody has, I guess I will play Guinea pig, and see if I notice anything, hopefully I will be hooking everything up with in the next few weeks.

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

i use a nice wood cover, or "topper" as i call it, when i want to haul gear around. it sits only about 2" away from the subs. it really doesnt change much. they are a little quieter, obviously, but noting major.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

What I have is the roll up vinyl one, I figured since it's a easily movable material, that maybe my friend is on to something. With the wood one you are talking about, I would assume more rattling, or like you said it would clearly be quieter.

no rattles.

but anyways, no. it wont be like a passive radiator at all.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Shouldnt really make too much of a difference. If you have the cover just play it with it off and put it on and see what happens.

I pretty much was going to do this anyway, but figured maybe somebody has noticed something, or has had the same question.

Archived