looking for opinions on this , i got a 93 dakota with a 3.9 v6 from my neighbor and i decided to sell the catylitic convertor for scrap , the exhaust was loud already . when i cut off the cat i was planning on just straight piping it all the way back , but now i am second guessing if that is the best idea or if i should add a muffler .don't want it to be too loud . if i were to add a muffler i want to add one that will improve the sound as well as quiet it down a little . wondering if there is a muffler that could make this v6 sound more like a v8 as far as the low tones and throatyness .

Flowmaster bro 40 series my friend got duals on his v6 dakota and it sounds mean he got 2 1/2 stainless with 40 series flowmasters :)

-LET*IT*RIDE-

unless you got a v8 it aint gonna sound like one.

agreed , since i eliminated the cataytic converter i am thinking i should do something to mellow out the noise on this thing . a good sound would be nice too , but mainly not getting hassled or ticketed .

find a system with high flow cats, your engine was designed to use cats for a reason, they help scavenge and help with fuel economy, even guys that run high horsepower LS7 engines run cats for a reason thats the way the ecm was tuned with that a part of the system

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go

no cat ! not gonna spend $150 + to replace the cat i just scrapped , exhaust was leaky and loud already , back pressure not an issue for this engine and if it were i could weld a washer in the pipe to create some back pressure . no downstream o2 sensor , no problem with cat deletion . other than being even louder , trying to figure out what muffler i should get .i don't mind exhaust notes , but i don't want ticket or to piss off my neighbors

and actually catalytic converters don't do so much for scavenging , the y pipe is what helps scavenging which i will keep

Edited by b-dubs89

You guys dont have smog test in minn? In california we have to have cats equipped if the vehicle came with it or we wont pass smog and cant get registration.

not where i live , guess some places in the twin cities did or still do that .

haha in canada we dont know what that smog mumbo jumbo is. i got a vehicle registered with cat removed, and muffler leaking.

so do you have a true dual setup with an xpipe? who cares about noise, if it sounds good people wont complain, if it sounds like 14 mexicans farting after a burrito binge then people will absolutley complain.

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go