beatinpearls Posted June 23, 2012 Report Posted June 23, 2012 On my last 2 vehicles, I hooked my Ipod Video directly to my amps. Never had any equipment to test the output and didnt really know much about clipping, output voltages and gain knobs. Yes, I thought it WAS a volume knob. Didnt even think to measure the voltage output with my DMM. I have spent lots of time on this site and have learned quite a bit. So I now have a DD1 and have checked the output voltage at about .9VAC. Very weak. I am purchasing an EQ and active crossover. These should help to boost the signal right? Also, am I losing any quality or frequency range through an Ipod? I did some research but couldnt find a definitive frequency range these are capable of. Looks like 20-20KHz..... Has anyone used just an Ipod without a HU?
Guest Posted June 23, 2012 Report Posted June 23, 2012 ipod usb > internal ipod headphone amp. its sooo much clearer. ipods clip at full volume. my ipod video was clip free at like 99% volume. it was like one or two pixels away from 100% volume.
beatinpearls Posted June 23, 2012 Author Report Posted June 23, 2012 I tested the 40Hz track and clipped at roughly 99% volume through the headphone jack also. Couldnt get the 1KHz track to work properly I assume cause of the small output voltage. This time I will be using the bottom output but dont have the cable with me to test to see if it is any better. If thats what you meant by "ipod usb > internal ipod headphone amp". Also, I cant decide which would be better if one is. Set the Ipod volume limit to max clip free and use the EQ to adjust system volume or leave the EQ at max clip free and use the Ipod to adjust volume since that is the point of low voltage.
Guest Posted June 23, 2012 Report Posted June 23, 2012 I tested the 40Hz track and clipped at roughly 99% volume through the headphone jack also. Couldnt get the 1KHz track to work properly I assume cause of the small output voltage. This time I will be using the bottom output but dont have the cable with me to test to see if it is any better. If thats what you meant by "ipod usb > internal ipod headphone amp". Also, I cant decide which would be better if one is. Set the Ipod volume limit to max clip free and use the EQ to adjust system volume or leave the EQ at max clip free and use the Ipod to adjust volume since that is the point of low voltage. if i recall correctly, the ipods usb port outputs a digital signal, versus the headphone jack which is an analog signal. so i dont think you'll just be able to tap into the audio output portion of the usb cable and expect it to work. why cant you just get a headunit....
beatinpearls Posted June 23, 2012 Author Report Posted June 23, 2012 This is the cable I have. I havent tried it yet as I dont have the car with me (military stationed away from home) but wouldnt this work? I could get a HU and hide it in the console. Have been broken into too many times. Cant steal what they cant see. And I wanted to keep it simple. Have too many CDs..... And thank you for all your input.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.