Here's my opinion on the optic thing. you said you were trying to keep it low budget and have it work (not be super fancy was your wording). nothing is more reliable and cheap than Iron Sights. The ONLY thing an optic would have the edge over Irons is in speed of gaining your sights, but the difference is negligible if you train consistently. I'm speaking from experience in my profession.

Honestly I would save the 350 and put it into a case of 5.56. once you've mastered the iron sights AND find a need for the optic, then I would look into the above Aimpoint, Trijicon, Leupold (yes they make tactical optics too but you're going to pay for it) ETC.

Unless there's something more you didn't tell us about the use of this rifle, that's my opinion.

I found some irons by magpul that look like something I would like, I just dont like the m16 big front triangle front sight. And I found some customizable rails like you were talking about, I definitely want a full length rail but your right in that I dont need a quad rail.

also, tapco multi tool, will i need anything beyond what this and the tools i listed that i already had?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/747639/tapco-multi-tool-ar-15

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Seems like it has everything you need on it. I'm not sure of the quality because I've never used that particular one. Only time will tell. You also need a upper receiver vise block (DPMS panther claw) and make sure your torque wrench is 1/2" drive not 3/8" as 1/2" is the size of the opening in that multi tool.

I know you said you have punches but make sure they are roll pin punches not standard ones as you run the risk of marring up your roll pins to the point they won't go in.

We have 1/2" and 3/8" at the farm, ill check on the pins though because I think they are normal punches. Well it looks like things are in order for me so hopefully I can start ordering parts soon.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Archived