JL Audio 500/1 (Fried)

This is my amp it shorted out a few months ago. I think the speaker wire touched the case of the amp while i was driving.

Anyways, be warned its a little gory!

Overall picture of the inside

Jl001.jpg

MOSFET cover removed

Jl002.jpg

Closeup of the MOSFETs

Jl003.jpg

And the MOSFET cover

Jl004.jpg

HU: Pioneer Avic Z2

MIDS/HIGHS:Pioneer GM-6400F > Infinity Kappa 6.5"(Front), 6X9(rear)

LOWS: JL Audio 500/1v2 > 12" JL Audio W6v2 D4

Could you fix it by soldering in new mosfets?

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

I could replace the MOSFETs and i even found the right parts online, but there are a couple other things that look damaged as well. So for $180 I can send to JL and have it either fixed or replaced. So im gonna go that route. And I'm not the best as soldering in tight places either.

yes as long as it didnt fry anything else. just make sure they have the same numbers on them so you know the + and - are in the right spots

i'm new to the spl world and loving it!!!
4- power acoustik mofo 152s
rd d9

Yea I am not sure if I would trust myself soldering in that amp lol. Wires = no problem Tight little places with dmageable components = No bueno send that puppy in hahah.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

i have been tempted to get a slash amp but i see too many of them dead on ebay , to me for what that amp would cost to replace or buy it should be more reliable than it is .

i have been tempted to get a slash amp but i see too many of them dead on ebay , to me for what that amp would cost to replace or buy it should be more reliable than it is .

I don't have a lot of experience with amps but it seems to me there should have been a fuse or something to prevent this from happening. Especially considering this is somewhat of a pricey amp.

i guess if you can afford to buy a slash at retail price you can probably afford to replace it when it fries

that is still a pretty incredible amp if you look at the voltage range where its rated i think down to 11 volts , and the fact that you can run 1.5 ohms to 4 ohms and get rated power , there's a reason why people pay so damn much to have one of these . but knowing my luck i would spend $200 on ebay or at a pawn shop and have my slash amp fry out a month or 2 later .

Edited by b-dubs89