Sonic Electronix

Sup guys I've got 1 re se 15 and I was on eBay today looking to get a second one. I bought this sub 2 years ago I think, at the time all I knew about car audio was it louder than my 2 pr12s lol. I'm starting to get more into car audio wanting to get into bigger and better builds. While I was was looking for a second one I noticed there were 4 ohms and 2 ohms and I honestly have no clue what mine is or how to tell. I'm guessing it's a 2 ohm but I don't wanna order a second one and find out the bass is different is there a way to tell?

When i bought this 15 i had no clue how to do the wiring or anything so on of my friends did the wiring for me and I think he said he wired it to 1 ohm if anyone can help me understand this stuff more I'll greatly appreciate it

You won't have "different" bass, you'll have an issue with wiring a sub that has a different coil configuration. You need to check your existing sub with a digital multimeter(DMM) and see what the coils are. Good luck trying to find an actual SE that is isn't the newer SEx series. You can also tell the ohm if you tell us how your sub is wired to your amp AND getting a reading at the speaker wires on the amp with a DMM and telling us the load on it. If your buddy wired your sub to 1 ohm, then it MUST be a Dual 2 ohm sub, that's if he knew which coil configuration you were running. If by some chance you have a Dual 4 ohm coil sub, you're ACTUALLY wired at 2 ohms.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I pulled the sub out turned the dmm to 200 and got a ohm reading of 2

put the dmm to 20 and measure again. take off all speaker wires on the sub/subs and measure each voice coil independently. a 2 ohm speaker will generally read between 1.5 and 2.5. a 4 ohm speaker, around 3.5 to 4.5.

touch the dmm leads to each other first and see what the meter reads. some cheaper ones have an internal resistance, like mine does. when i touch my leads together i get a reading of around .8 ohms. so that will make a speaker whos actual resistance is 2.0 ohms read as 2.8 ohms.

Edited by Kranny