Sonic Electronix

New to the car amp world need help

my front speaker specs r

• Frequency Response: 65Hz - 29kHz
  • Impedence: 4 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 88dB (1W/1m

• Crossover Network:
    Design: In-line Network Design
    Attenuation Control: 4 Step (0, -2, -4, -6 dB)
    High Grade Network Components: High Grade Network Components

Others: Pure Copper Trace-Style Resistance Circuit Board

now with that i should still set my hp filter to x1 between 30-600 hz even tho the frequency response is between 65hz-29khz? and how do i know wut hz to set the cross over to?

when im setting gains do i have to turn anything up all the way in the set up i have? i know gains get set all the way down.

Thats a huge help thank you. now when you set ur hp filter doesnt that depend on what speakers your running? does coaxial or components change wut hp filter you set it to?

did you happen too look up the specs of the front and rear speakers im running cause its components in the front and coaxial in the rear and again im not exactly sure if that makes a difference on nething that has to get set up...Im def starting to understand more of wut the terms mean and how to tune an amp...

When you are setting gains, make sure they are all the way down before the amp even sees power. And yes, you turn your deck all the way up, ok not all the way up to max volume, but to the maximum non distorted volume, which I believe the DD-1 will tell you.

Your hp filter setting will depend on the (Frequency response) specs for the speakers you are running, not necessarily the fact that they are coax or component. Your front components have a frequency response of 65Hz-29kHz, so you want your front hp crossover set no lower than 65Hz. Your rear coax speakers have a frequency response of 63Hz-29kHz so again, nothing lower than 63Hz on the rear hpf.

my front speaker specs r
  • Frequency Response: 65Hz - 29kHz
  • Impedence: 4 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 88dB (1W/1m
  • Crossover Network: Design: In-line Network Design Attenuation Control: 4 Step (0, -2, -4, -6 dB) High Grade Network Components: High Grade Network Components

Others: Pure Copper Trace-Style Resistance Circuit Board now with that i should still set my hp filter to x1 between 30-600 hz even tho the frequency response is between 65hz-29khz? and how do i know wut hz to set the cross over to?

The switch that lets you chose between "x1" and "x10" only determines the RANGE that the knob controls. Where you set the knob to is the "floor" if you will, of the range of frequencies that will be sent to the speakers. But again, it isn't an absolute number. Let's say you set your HPF to 70Hz, that doesn't mean a 69Hz signal will not be sent to the speakers, but it does mean that starting at 70Hz, lower frequencies are reduced to one extent or another until they are no longer present in the signal.

The range on the hp filter knob of 30-600Hz doesnt mean that those are the only frequencies that will be allowed to pass through. That is what a band pass filter does. A high pass filter has a limit to how low of a frequency it will let through, it lets frequencies higher than the cutoff point pass, hence the name "high pass"

Quick, short lesson on filters:

High pass, just explained it.

Low pass, does the opposite, it blocks frequencies ABOVE the cutoff point, allowing the lows to pass.

A band pass is like combining the two, it only lets a range of frequencies through. This is kind of what is created when you use your subsonic filter in combination with the low pass filter for your subs.

so if i tune for my sub i would set the LP filter close to 400hz since the frequency response spec for the sub is 28hz-400hz?

set the subsonic close to what the sub is tuned for so if the tuning frequency is 30hz i would set it around the 28hz mark? what would happen if i tuned it for more than what than what the tuning frequency is set for?

I hope im starting to understand it...

Im still not to sure when i would set it to band pass?

Personally, I would set the lpf to around 80Hz. You dont really want your sub trying to move much faster than that, but as I am typing this I am wanting to say your enclosure is pre-loaded with two 8's is that correct? If so, you can go a little higher than 80. Your subsonic filter should be set to 28Hz, for a couple of reasons, one because you want it slightly below what your box is tuned to, in this case I think that is 30Hz, plus that is the low end of the subs frequency response so it is a good number. The purpose of the subsonic filter is to keep your sub from trying to waste a lot of energy reproducing sounds that it is either not meant to, the human ear cant detect, or could be harmful to your set up.

In this application, you wouldn't really set any filter to bandpass. For EXAMPLE, let's say your subs were 18", and you had 8" mid-bass drivers. In that cass you would set a band-pass filter for the midbass drivers. Again, in your case, no need to set anything to bandpass.

Personally, I would set the lpf to around 80Hz. You dont really want your sub trying to move much faster than that, but as I am typing this I am wanting to say your enclosure is pre-loaded with two 8's is that correct? If so, you can go a little higher than 80. Your subsonic filter should be set to 28Hz, for a couple of reasons, one because you want it slightly below what your box is tuned to, in this case I think that is 30Hz, plus that is the low end of the subs frequency response so it is a good number. The purpose of the subsonic filter is to keep your sub from trying to waste a lot of energy reproducing sounds that it is either not meant to, the human ear cant detect, or could be harmful to your set up.

In this application, you wouldn't really set any filter to bandpass. For EXAMPLE, let's say your subs were 18", and you had 8" mid-bass drivers. In that cass you would set a band-pass filter for the midbass drivers. Again, in your case, no need to set anything to bandpass.

its enclosed ported box with one 8 inch type r sub in it. i thought LP would be set higher than that since your tryin to block of frequency thats higher than the cut off point which in the sub i have i thought was 400hz. atleast i that if the sub frequency response was between 28hz-400hz youd wanna set the lp filter closer to the 400hz so it would block off anything higher than that? again srry if im over thinkin it

frequency response listed on paper is useless for subwoofers. why do you want your subwoofers playing notes that your door speakers are supposed to play?

put the LPF at 80hz. 100hz max.

Archived