Sonic Electronix

New to the car amp world need help

Hey everyone thanks for viewing my thread. like i already said im new to the whole car audio world. ill start by letting you guys kno what im running in my car. kenwood kdc-996x head unit, alpine spr60c components in the front, alpine spr68 type r speakers in the rear, alpine pdx-v9 amp, and i just order and have not gotten yet the alpine SBR-S83V sub. Now what im trying to do is tune my amp. Ive never tuned one before so honestly idk where to start. ive been reading alot about how to do it but besides setting the gains im lost and when it starts getting into frequency, crossover, bridge, and all that im lost and dont really get it. maybe im over thinking it but i would love it if you guys could help me im always up for new knowledge and for some of you experience guys to school me.

Set gain with an oscope or dd-1 preferably. Or you can do it by ear since you aren't among lots of power.

For filters:

Low pass is the high cutoff of when your sub begins to stop playing. It makes it so the subwoofer plays bass and not treble

Subsonic is the opposite of a low pass. It will stop your subwoofer from playing too low of notes and encountering mechanical damage. This is most useful when using a ported box design.

Bridge links 2 channels into 1 channel. You get around double the power, but you also need to double the impedance. Ex: going from 1 ohm to 2 ohms.

if you look up the sub its an 8inch that comes in a box already.

Features and Specification

SPECIFICATIONS

Power Handling

Power Range: 150W - 300W

RMS Power Handling: 300W

Peak Power Handling: 900W

• >

Dimensions

Height: 483mm (19")

Width: 283mm (11-1/8")

Depth [including Grill]: 135mm (5-5/16") [160mm (6-3/8")]

General

Frequency Response: 28Hz - 400Hz

FEATURES

Model: SBR-S83V

Woofer

Model: SWR-843D (in parallel)

Grill

Model: KTE-8G

Enclosure Type

Material: 3/8" MDF (3/4" Front Baffle), Carpeted w/ Brushed Aluminum Trim

Design: Ported

Tuning

Frequency: 30Hz

I can get all the info for everything else if that would help like i said im not familiar with all the terms

why 28hz and not higher or lower? Im trying to understand why certain things get set at certain places. I did buy the dd-1 to assure my gains were gunna be set right

You want to keep your ssf only slightly below what your box is tuned to, Drivers begin to unload rapidly under box tuning frequency so you want to limit excursion

now what about cross overs and frequency for the speakers...i hope im not coming off to stupid..

Crossover just depends on how low your main speakers go. You want to cross at a point where main speakers still have output before they rolloff. And you aren't stupid just learning

Archived