Need some help selecting Speakers/Sub

I think I have at least decided to go with a Fi sub. The JBL MkII looks cool too and ended up being my second choice but I really like the Fi stuff. The reason I eliminated the IDMax is because I went to a local car audio shop that had a lot of powerbass stuff which I knew nothing about so I did a little research. Turns out as you probably already know powerbass owns Image Dynamics and I was not impressed with the powerbass stuff at all. In fact everything else in the store sounded better and to be honest they didn't really have anything very impressive. I made sure to bring a friend too and he agreed. I know they are different products but still, even if it still sounds pretty good I think reliability is probably a concern. (EDIT: May have been their fault but I know a lot of people who had IDQs that only lasted a year or two) The W7 is kind of rediculous for obvious reasons and the SR12s while very nice, I would either be overpowering one, or underpowering two. I think I would rather have one fully powered (or close) sub than be in either of those situations.

As far as speakers go I really like the focals, But i'm kinda worried im buying into another JL type company here. Are they really worth the extra money? If they are really only marginally better than some cheaper alternative I would rather do that.

A friend of mine was trying to talk me into a bigger alt/extra battery, He said the best way to wire this would be one amp to each battery and a solenoid to switch between charging each battery. Does this make any sense? It seems like I could just get away with a bigger alt by itself if I even need one to begin with as long as I dont play the stereo while the car isn't started which I never do anyway.

Ordered the pioneer head unit yesterday, should be here in about a week. Ended up paying 300 for it! Waiting on a credit card payment to go through before I buy anything else. Probably will order front speakers next. No input on Focal? Turns out putting a 6.5 in there should be pretty easy, only problem is depth. Im going to take some measurements later today to see exactly how much I have/what can be done with spacers. I can probably only use focals if I stay with 5.25 because their 6.5s are way too thick. Kinda sucks because after looking at the specs I don't think the focal 5.25s go low enough. (80hz, shouldn't I be shooting for 60/70?) After talking with someone from Fi they encouraged me to go with the 15, sounds good to me does anyone have any input on that? Maybe use the 12 instead? I know its a SQ sub so it shouldnt really be an issue but I want it to be able to reproduce drums and stuff well because I don't listen to strictly rap/electronic music. Thanks!

infinity speakers sound like garbage.

you can more than likely fit 6.5's if you make an mdf bracket for them. it'll help add some depth so the magnet doesnt hit the window when it rolls down.

go with the 15, sure. it'll have a little more output than the 12, at the sacrifice of a little bigger box.

• 2 weeks later...

okay I'll go with the 6.5s and the 15 then. I'll probably just stick with 5.25s for the back though and not bother with a component set back there. Focal all around though. There is an old kicker S15D for sale for 200 with a box on craigslist. I'm tempted to get it and go old school, what do you guys think? I'm probably better off with the Fi right?

I was thinking about getting an Orion XTR5004 for the door speakers, Any thoughts on that?

Man im so close...I can't wait to put all this stuff in. The head unit is awesome by the way.

Nevermind, I'm just gonna stick with the Focals. No one seems to have anything bad to say about them. I think im going to take the advice of many forum members here and not have back speakers at all, so just focals up front component 6.5s and a 2 channel amp +amp/sub. Does anyone have any opinions of the Pioneer PRS-D800? It seems really good on paper. 125 watts + 0.004 THD!!! Any other reccomended amps?

• 2 weeks later...

Nevermind, I'm just gonna stick with the Focals. No one seems to have anything bad to say about them. I think im going to take the advice of many forum members here and not have back speakers at all, so just focals up front component 6.5s and a 2 channel amp +amp/sub. Does anyone have any opinions of the Pioneer PRS-D800? It seems really good on paper. 125 watts + 0.004 THD!!! Any other reccomended amps?

Go for PHD: Fb or Af kits. Pioneer is a good HU. . Mosconi, Sundown, Audison or Arc for sub. You can purchase a 4 channel amp and bridge rear to run sub. I am running Alpine pdx-f4 for 4 components. Small footprint & powerful. 4x100a. Using pioneer hu with 4 v out & audioson bit ten processor. Not putting sub thru because hu has more flexibilty. Check out the PHD speakers @ PHD.it. Using them now instead of Hertz mlk 165. Amazing sounding.

Archived