Second Skin Audio

Sub dead... 6 12's?

redwon89

Well... Finished building a slot ported, 4.2cf enclosure tuned to 29hz for a single Kicker CVR 15. Couple days later the CVR is done for, so I'm looking to do something new.

So I'm looking for a few opinions on my thoughts for my next build.

My amplifier is 1 OHM stable, putting out around 1,600 to 1,800 rms.

I liked the way the single sub setup sounded, but I've always liked seeing multiple subs banging together. So I was figuring for my next setup, I would like to go with 6 12's. Love seeing 4 or more woofers working in unison.

With the power I got to play with, the space I got and the budget I'm trying to stick to, I was thinking of going with the RE Audio rex12d4.

About 60 bucks a piece, 175 Watt rms. So it won't kill my budget. Would be going with the dvc 4 ohm, 6 drivers to see a 1 ohm load. So they would be getting about 300 rms each. Was thinking going with a sealed enclosure. 2 enclosures (to ensure getting them in my.trunk opening) each one housing 3 woofers, shared chamber, 2.25cf after displacement and adequate bracing. Fitting with the recommended size of .75cf per driver. So the 6 in a total of 4.5cf sealed, all firing upwards in the trunk of a 2005 Bonneville.

I know these are low power woofers, but can I really go wrong with roughly 670 inches of cone area?

Would like a few opinions. Am I wrong in thinking this would provide some SQ while still being able to get decently loud? Would I be overpowering to much? Would the such low power drivers be a let down output wise even with all that cone area?

I listen to rap/dubstep mostly, with some rock thrown in.

Any input would be appreciated!

The Bonneville is deadened to the front of the rear doors, 2-3 layers in the trunk and 2 on the doors. It did pretty well keeping the rattling to a minimum when I was running both the cvr 15's. But then again 2 15's isn't quite 6 12's...

I had planned to get the entire car deadened if need be. But it would be maybe 6 months out.

My real concerns are, can these 175 Watt subs take roughly 300 in this sealed, shared chamber enclosure safely?

And what type of output to expect. 6 drivers in a sealed enclosure. Should be very tight and punchy, correct? Yet also be able to put out nice and loud dragging baselines that are common with rap and dubstep?

I'm just questioning my driver selection really. I have read that RE has gone downhill in terms of quality over the last five years. And the rex12d4 being their entry level woofer just got me wondering.

Archived