Time To Upgrade?

Alright, so my cousin ended up getting a quad core computer sli the whole 9 yards. anyways he gave me his old set up which was a P4 HT 3.0GHz processor with a 120 gig SATA hdd, 1 gig of ram and It has a PCIe on the mobo. I was wondering if I should upgrade that computer, or keep upgrading my computer that I have right now. Dual core AMD 2.0GHz O.C.ed to 2.35GHz with a gig of ram 256mb X800 ATI video card GDDR3 with a 250 gig hdd... I tried to order the 7950GT XFX AGP video card but they are backordered and I dont believe that they are going to get anymore in which disappoints me... but anyways, let me know what you guys think.

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

I am a huge fan of the double AA's, AMD and ATI. That being said, amd's new Phenon chips have dissapointed me dearly, and I am having second thoughts upgrading with AMD, that is unless they get their speeds up and core size down to the 45nm. Seeing as you have the chance to upgrade your graphic card to PCI-E I suggest upgrading the new P4 and getting a good PCI-E graphic card, maybe sell your old amd computer to recoup the cost of a new graphic card.

Well if you compair the athlon at 2.5 to the p4 at 3 i would bet on the amd ( even tho im a intel fan). But if you can get the p4 running 3.4+ then that would b best. Either way i would sell both rigs and start from scratch, maybe even go PICe 2.0 with a kick ass video card from nvidia. But if you do build a new rig, stick with intel

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

i think u should upgrade ur dual core amd for intels Q6600 quad core and wait for nvidia to release their 9 series (which shouldn't be much longer)

Edited by Sp33dyG

the only person i wouldnt let build my box would be Ray.

Team Heavy-Flex4 SA 12's tuned to 29hz

Ampere Audio 3800.1 @ 1 ohmXS Power D3100Big 3Stock alt

I don't think anyone recommended the phenom chip, I did refer to it as being what disappointed me with AMD. Also, for you to know exactly what socket he has would be impossible, unless he has told you, or you are the cousin he was talking about, I have an AMD dual core as well and it is a socket 939. Well Cdizzle, what did you decide to do?

I don't think anyone recommended the phenom chip, I did refer to it as being what disappointed me with AMD. Also, for you to know exactly what socket he has would be impossible, unless he has told you, or you are the cousin he was talking about, I have an AMD dual core as well and it is a socket 939. Well Cdizzle, what did you decide to do?

It is socket 939 on the AMD computer, if anyone has a chip higher then 3800+ dual core for AMD I will buy it... As for the Intel I am just going to overclock it maybe and wait till this computer, and the AMD cant handle newer games (both run crysis) and I said run so dont rub it in...I am just happy that I can play the game. Anyways till then I gotta save up money keep getting that savings bigger and bigger

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

Thats a good idea. I currently have the same chip as you but am not an avid gamer so, I am happy with it, for now. I am doing like you, saving my money to build the ultimate machine. A phenom chip, hopefully the 9900 if they release it, along with quad HD3800 graphic cards, should help out with running cad programs.