I purchased a 3" rough country suspension lift for my truck a while back. After 1000 or so road miles I went off roading for the first time. The next day I noticed a slight lean to the passenger side. Over time it got to where the passenger side of the truck was more than 2 inches lower than the driver side, the front right leaf spring had went flat and was bending downward on the 2nd to bottom leaf. I contacted rough country about the problem and they sent me a replacement spring the next day. I installed the new spring and drove around for about 5 minutes on paved road and the spring did the same as the last... Truck leaning to the right and the leaf spring is flat.

My dad thinks it's just because rough country has 3 leaf springs that have a low spring rating and are a POS because they are made in Indonesia. Could this problem be caused by a bent frame or anything? Alignment seems fine and no other tell tell signs. It's just hard to believe that a company would make such a shitty product.

• 2 weeks later...

They could make a shitty product, To cut costs a company could do anything. Just as along as it lasts for warranty, or if it does not have one, it can goes out when ever. I bought new leaf springs for my Explorer, and it began to sag about an inch right away, because me weighing about 270lbs, and the full 21 gallon gas tank just happen to be on the same side of the truck. so I bought load adjusting shocks, and it fixed the problem. there is a possibility that the frame is bent, but that is unlikely.

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

• 4 weeks later...

RC makes crappy stuff. Some people might disagree, but all good things start with the quality of the steel (then design). Indonesian steel is like GS2500 or GS3000, which is not good enough for spring use. RC is good for poser rides..IMO.

BUT, it is strange that the right side is worse off than the driver side, which ususall carries more load. And for it to happen twice, raises some questions about the components. Have you checked your radius arms/control arms etc to make sure nothing is cracked. lose? How bout the bushings?

If its determined that the springs are bad as described, it may be possible to get some Rancho springs, Contact Rancho to see what they can do, they are much better...

Archived