Loud & Low 8th Gen Civic - Time to say good bye to her.

I had one of the HF welders. I'll be honest, I do not recommend them. At my local home depot they sell Lincoln electric welders for about $60 more. The HF one kept blowing holes in material because there is only a high and low setting.

I've owned a harbor freight welder. It was my first. It's what I learned on.

It was terrible, but I sold it for exactly what I paid for it.

If you think you will ever do anything in the future, buy a good welder.

Go to a welding shop, and they will likely let you try a few out or teach you the basics, so don't buy a welder for training wheels. It's a waste

A good Hobart can be had with all accessories for well less than a grand.

Sure, a HF welder works. But when you do anything that you want to look good or last, it's not the right tool.

A good welder with shield gas will be far more pretty than a HF flux core welder, and a TON stronger

I've built bumpers and roll cages with a 120v Hobart with no issues.

Yes, my buddies 220v Miller has a lot more adjustments and such, but I don't do it enough to justify the difference.

Seriously, if you are contemplating it, find a local weld shop. Any successful one with have a good front desk guy. It's not a tool for one build, it's an investment. You will be amazed all the things you find that you can use it for in everyday tasks

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

My build - 1996 4Runner with 2 18s - 149+ in a sealed box (with radiators)

0a4ee87c-28c8-4bf8-9dfe-5a06b9dea2dc_zps

3e3eb9dd-70f8-4424-ad11-ccebcd929ac4_zps

Also, regardless of what you get, get a good helmet. I started with a HF helmet and I know my vision was very negatively affected by it.

I bought a very nice 3M mask and it was well worth it. I paid a little over $100 for the mask. The shop by me does masks with student discounts (no proof necessary). I think it's like $600 MSRP

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

My build - 1996 4Runner with 2 18s - 149+ in a sealed box (with radiators)

0a4ee87c-28c8-4bf8-9dfe-5a06b9dea2dc_zps

3e3eb9dd-70f8-4424-ad11-ccebcd929ac4_zps

Well today was the day it all came to an end. It was a good day. Went up to Reno to hang out with Jon Rabe, Logan Foster, LeAndre Davis, and Jeff Vue, oh and Johnny but I don't know what his last name is. Anyway it was a weird day, bitter sweet really.

Got up there and hung out a bit. Then got to sit in the GMC. DAMN IT HURTS!! Course I'm a big baby, I've never been in anything that loud before. But I didn't bail! Actually i really enjoyed the bass after the first song and getting used to it. It was the doors that hurt the most, DAMN THOSE ARE LOUD!!!

Then it was time for me. The reason, or one of the reasons, I went up there was to get on the meter and see what I could do as she sat. First time I've ever metered, keeping in mind this is the first time I've ever built anything this big that wasn't SQ oriented. So I was anxious to see. After going up the scale through about 7 or 8 sweeps, I ended up with this:

1505185_697283223664491_7871419274625469

Not bad I don't think. 140.8 at 43hz. I guess. Of course I don't know shit so, whatever, it was in the 140's so I was pretty happy with that.

Not too long after that I demoed for Dre, cause he'd not had a chance to hear it yet, and I was bitten. Played World Wide Choppers, and got about half way through. Could smell the subs and about the time I went to drop the bass knob down a bit we hear the noise! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Yep! Gone! Actually we pulled the sub thinking maybe it was the lower lip joint. But we couldn't find it for shit! Nothing was pulled off there, nothing seemed out of place on the coil, it didn't look terribly discolored, couldn't find anything. Put it on the DMM and one side read 2ohms and the other read .5 ohms. Well then, that's not gonna work is it. So we decided eff it, just do it and this was the end result.

10401365_697439256982221_427980117213310

Here's the bottom where the coil and the former meet. No wonder we couldn't see shit. It was on the very very bottom. It's completely separated from the former. and shorted out as you can see here.

1014333_697439273648886_9138965956487195

Here's a little bit better look at it.

10253816_697439290315551_432783133499277

So that's it. She's officially done now. But at least I got to see what she did before I tore her apart. I'm quite sure I could've gotten more out of her, but given the circumstances, I'm good with it.

NOW, on to bigger and better things! I'm a little bummed today, but I'm more excited for the near future.

THANKS AGAIN, for everyone's support. I appreciate it and look forward to sharing the BEAST with you all. Thanks as always for tuning in!

Now you can make peace and move on. Congrats!

Yes. Well like i was saying yesterday, if it was not all coming out, I'd have been way more upset. I still am not happy, but this is now the gateway to bigger plans. So it'll work out.

I'm still scratching my head on this one. But for sure new and better things are coming...

Yeah it was kind of strange huh. I don't know enough about it to know the internals and how they work etc. But it's done now. Moving on. Thanks for helping out yesterday. I appreciate it.

Archived