Guest DC Power Kyle

Mac is based off Darwin which is pretty much UNIX deep under the hood. I run Mac because of the support for a lot of applications that I use on a day-to-day basis. However, I have some pretty sick programming setups with CentOS along with Automated OS server installations with a simple command for programming and web based development. Since Mac is extremely close to Linux/UNIX is why I choose it for my operating system.

I run a few different Linux Distro's each has its strengths and weaknesses. For the common noob user I would say Ubuntu is top of the totem pole, it has all of the software you need to do just about anything. It is not difficult to navigate and if you are use to running a MAC there is a Macbuntu skin that will make your desktop look just like that of a Mac. As n8 said Linux has just as many threats as Windows or Mac they are not as apparent but their there. It's all a matter of what you want to use it for, running one of the Live CD's is a good way to test it for yourself and feel it out. My only gripe with Linux is the fact that Netflix won't support it so you can't instant stream with Netflix unless you make a Windows VM.

There is a new unofficial way to do Netflix on Linux. I haven't tested it yet though

http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa-for-netflix-desktop-app.html

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

I run a few different Linux Distro's each has its strengths and weaknesses. For the common noob user I would say Ubuntu is top of the totem pole, it has all of the software you need to do just about anything. It is not difficult to navigate and if you are use to running a MAC there is a Macbuntu skin that will make your desktop look just like that of a Mac. As n8 said Linux has just as many threats as Windows or Mac they are not as apparent but their there. It's all a matter of what you want to use it for, running one of the Live CD's is a good way to test it for yourself and feel it out. My only gripe with Linux is the fact that Netflix won't support it so you can't instant stream with Netflix unless you make a Windows VM.

There is a new unofficial way to do Netflix on Linux. I haven't tested it yet though

http://www.iheartubu...esktop-app.html

I saw that I haven't had a chance to do it yet. I'm just pissed Netflix won't open up to Linux I shouldn't have to cheat my way to watch movies.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

The cool thing about it is that you can "revive" your old rigs with it. They might not be powerful enough to handle current versions of Windows or are too slow to handle it efficiently by today's standards, but you can slap on a small minimalistic distro like Damn Small Linux and it will be somewhat useable again :).

http://www.iheartubu...esktop-app.html

I saw that I haven't had a chance to do it yet. I'm just pissed Netflix won't open up to Linux I shouldn't have to cheat my way to watch movies.

Agreed. Too bad it's only for the *buntu distros, for now. I keep an Ubuntu LiveCD/DVD around for recovery reasons, and I use it to install/repair Gentoo since it supports my hardware right out of the box (specifically wireless), which the regular Gentoo minimal install CD doesn't. Being able to do other things while installing helps as well (surfing the net, listening to music, coding random little non-important programs), since Gentoo takes foooooorrrrreeeeeevvvvvveeeeeerrrrrrrr to install :P

I thought the same thing about mainstream games on Linux, but with Valve's efforts on that front, we'll finally get a few that run natively on Linux. I know UT2k4 came with a native Linux installer, but it ran like crap on the rig I had at the time (worked fine in Windows, though)

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

Archived