How does Linux compare to Mac and pc operating systems?

sigbanner.png

2001 chevy cavalier

Rebuild in progress

what happens when your CD player skips and you accidentally drop a 22 hz sine bomb at an unholy volume on 7-8 year old subs? Mechanical failure floppy sub knockage on at least 2.

well...as i see the level 6 is compared to a lamborghini.....but a corvette?

i was thinking more like a chevy volt. its cute and new and "hip", but i would just rather stick my dick in a blender.........

that depends on the application

mac and pc are more user friendly desktop environment. they are easy point and click interfqaces.. while linux does have a gui and is a lot more user friendly not than it used to be it still relies heavily on command line (this makes using it a little more tedious)

linux is compl,etly open source which make it much more robust than pc and mac.

HU: Pioneer AVH x5800BHS SP Amp: AQ 120.4 Front SP: Hertz Hsk 165 Rear SP: DD cxs 6.5 SW Amp: Crescendo BC2000d SW 2 DC level 3 12" Electrical: Stock alt for now XS D2400 XS D3400 Knukonceptz Kolossus Second skin damplifier

On 8/8/2012 at 4:50 PM, Brandon15zzz said:

I heard he actually graduated college with a 4.0 gpa. Seems pretty gangster.

On 8/29/2012 at 12:25 AM, ILoveBass21 said:

he could blow a sub powering it with a potato.

i have to program on the linux machines at school and well im not a complete fan of it. it's just more tedious to navigate and move files and what not. not to mention i have to use emacs to program in and it takes a lot longer to program in then in visual studios or something.

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Are you wanting to know anything specific or is it just a general question?

that depends on the application

mac and pc are more user friendly desktop environment. they are easy point and click interfqaces.. while linux does have a gui and is a lot more user friendly not than it used to be it still relies heavily on command line (this makes using it a little more tedious)

linux is compl,etly open source which make it much more robust than pc and mac.

Some Linux distros are newbie-friendly (Ubuntu, LinuxMint, etc), while others are not (Gentoo, Slackware, etc). The former doesn't require a whole lot of command line usage, while the latter pretty much requires it.

The interesting thing about Linux is that you can tweak almost any aspect of it how you like it, if desired, instead of being in a bit of a "walled garden" like Windows and Mac. This is the main reason why I liked using Gentoo. I could custom build and tweak just about everything I wanted to install during compile/install time.

In this example, I noticed that I didn't have it set to install WMP and DivX support into a webbrowser media plugin, so I had to go tell it to include those features when I compliled/installed it

mplayeremerge.png

This is my typical Gentoo window layout (I do something similar with other distros depending on if I need a command line window for something or not)

gentookde4.png

i have to program on the linux machines at school and well im not a complete fan of it. it's just more tedious to navigate and move files and what not. not to mention i have to use emacs to program in and it takes a lot longer to program in then in visual studios or something.

I got interested after coding on the UNIX server at school. I actually prefer vi, nano, or even a normal GUI text editor.

From what I understand, once you learn the keyboard shortcuts for emacs or vi, you will actually become more efficient since your hands never have to leave the keyboard to navigate around.

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

damn..that looks pretty complicated. i think i'll stick with windows 7.

sigbanner.png

2001 chevy cavalier

Rebuild in progress

what happens when your CD player skips and you accidentally drop a 22 hz sine bomb at an unholy volume on 7-8 year old subs? Mechanical failure floppy sub knockage on at least 2.

well...as i see the level 6 is compared to a lamborghini.....but a corvette?

i was thinking more like a chevy volt. its cute and new and "hip", but i would just rather stick my dick in a blender.........

It's not that bad. That's just an example of what you can do with it. That is an advanced level distro. Ubuntu is not nearly that complicated unless you want to dig around and get your hands dirty with.

I suggest you at least give one of the Ubuntu flavors a chance. You can even run them straight off of a CD or DVD without installing just to see if you might like it. Also, Ubuntu seems to have a ton of helpful resources if you ever have an issue (most help articles are Ubuntu related), NixiePixel being one of my favorites

If you're into gaming, there's not much in the way of major games, but Valve is working on bringing Steam to Linux along with a few of their games.

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

How does Linux compare to Mac and pc operating systems?

First thing that comes to mind for me is that there are far less threats / attacks directed at ubuntu. It wouldn't surprise me one bit in this area if Mac started to catch up to windows in this area with the growing number of i-devices out there.

If you're feeling DOWN & OUT, it's time to get UP & IN

there are far less threats because of a far smaller target demographic. There are some very major ones out there regardless of what Linux junkies tell you.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I run a few different Linux Distro's each has its strengths and weaknesses. For the common noob user I would say Ubuntu is top of the totem pole, it has all of the software you need to do just about anything. It is not difficult to navigate and if you are use to running a MAC there is a Macbuntu skin that will make your desktop look just like that of a Mac. As n8 said Linux has just as many threats as Windows or Mac they are not as apparent but their there. It's all a matter of what you want to use it for, running one of the Live CD's is a good way to test it for yourself and feel it out. My only gripe with Linux is the fact that Netflix won't support it so you can't instant stream with Netflix unless you make a Windows VM.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Archived