looking to buy a home security system

• 1 month later...

I recently bought my first home and it's in a shit neighborhood. Cost was a huge factor for me in purchasing my system as I put 40k down on the house and dumped 40k into a remodel in less than a month.

All liquid cash went bye bye.

I have a pretty basic set up with wireless technology, glass break sensors, window triggers, but no motion alarms because I have a large dog.

To be honest, call your well rated local alarm companies, have them come out to give you bids, see what they offer, and make your own choice from there. It's really the best way to go. Here you'll get a bunch of jokers suggesting the $99.99 special install it yourself kit from Amazon.

If you need help finding a good local security company, check out Angies List. That's how I found mine and I'm happy with the choice and alarm so far. Great peace of mind.

1993 Chevy Suburban

Optima Yellow Top

Kenwood KDC X-993

Pioneer GM-X314 mids amp

Kenwood KFC-4675's up front

Kenwood KFC-415C in back

Fosgate T1500-1bd

Alpine 12" Type X

(Coming eventually: Fosgate T400-4, T1652-S, XS battery, Big 3, h.o. alternator, 18"???)

image,BoxingBuffalo,grey,black.png

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for any other company out there, only what I have experience with so I won't trash any other company or brands.

I currently have a Vivint home security system in place. First I'll list the cool stuff, or what I find to be my favorite factors.

*Electric dead bolts on every door, with a keypad on them. 4 digit code unlocks your door and disarms your security system. You can set up several different codes for different people so if something comes up missing, you can look through your history and know which person was in the house last.

*Key fob on your key chain. Arm your house, or disarm your house when you pull into the driveway, and unlock your door before you get to it, also has a panic button.

*Vivint smart phone app. Arm or disarm your house from your phone from anywhere. Also you can unlock specific doors from your phone, change your thermostat temperature (if you choose that option) and turn on and off lights from your phone (if you choose that option), view live streaming video from your house as well as record whats going on in the house when you are away (if you choose that option), you can also do the same things that the app does, from a computer when you go to vivint.com control panel.

*You can set away temperatures on your thermostat settings so the temp drops or rises a few degrees when the house is armed AWAY. You can also choose arm STAY for when you ARE home but if you have pets I would suggest you not get the motion detectors.

*Glass break sensors. If the sensors hear glass break in your house, the alarm goes off as well as contacting emergency services (911)

*Smoke detectors which immediately call the fire department for you, home or not.

*Alternate panic door code. Someone follows you to your door or tries to force you inside, you punch your code in on the door lock, it unlocks the door as usual and lets you in AND sends a silent panic alarm to the police department.

*When/if an alarm goes off and you are home, a voice comes over the control panel mounted on the wall (a real person not a bot) and asks you if everything is okay and tells you that emergency services have been contacted. You will then be asked for a verbal passcode to call off the police or fire department. Failure to be able to provide that passcode will result in police detaining your son in law!!! LOL

*If you are not home when any alarm goes off, you will receive an email for an alarm notification, a phone call, a voicemail if you don't answer, a call to any alternative numbers you have provided them with and if no response from those they will contact your emergency family/friend contact you provide them with.

*I've had the smoke detector go off (false alarm) and the fire department was here within 5 minutes while I was away at work (I got the phone call from a neighbor when they arrived).

*I've had the alarm go off when I unlocked my door from inside the house before disarming the wall panel by accident. The police were here before I had a chance to call them off via the panel security voice.

*I've had the alarm go off when my son in law walked out the door with the system ARMED and once it goes off you need a verbal passcode like I said before. Only the owners of the house should have this code. He didn't have it. Police...everywhere. HAHA

I would rate Vivint a 10/10 for security, a 9/10 for user friendliness, a 7/10 for supposed savings on electric bills with the (away thermostat temps) and a 11/10 for scaring the ever loving shit out of son in laws.

Does this help?

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Archived