Sundown Audio

Amp problems- haalp

Afficionado

I was on the way to the gym today bumping my music, not insanely loud, but loud enough. All of sudden the subs just stop, i'm thinking no biggie a wire just came close or something. get to the gym and take my cell phone out, don't see anything and the power light is still going on the amp. get home, haul it in the garage and i've done every possible thing i can think of...If you have any advice for things i may have not thought to check please tell me. i also tested a pioneer amp and the pioneer worked perfectly.

I'm running a Kicker ZX1500.1 powering 2x Rockford Punch 15's. the power not protection light comes on the amp, everything seems fine except nothing comes out of my subs...nothing on the inside of the amp smells or looks even the slightest bit funky...i'm at a loss, please help.

well i got the above amp shipped to kicker, they are RMA'ing it. so then....

I hooked up a kicker kx650.4 that i had, and had been using it for a couple days. yesterday i was riding around, not blasting it at all, not even pushing it hard, just listening to it for about a half hour when my subs just completely cut out. i immediately stopped my car and checked, the amp was still cold, everything looked fine, except the protection light will now blink every few seconds and nothing else happens. any idea what could possibly be happening?

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

I checked my voltage. just under 11 volts when ground is placed on the amp terminal. when ground is placed on car body i get about 13 volts on the amp.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

could be a ground issue or a power wire issue. check both runs and make sure all contacts are clean and tight. Could be why your amp fried. Bad power and bad ground causes heat, and that leads to dead amps....

i fixed a bad ground i had and am upgrading all of my power wire now, this is going to cost me a pretty penny to have these amps repaired and all of this electrical...but that's how this game is played now isn't it?

also, the amp wasn't hot at all when i checked. could some internals still have overheated without the outside heating up?

11v? yeah....thats low. the ground has to be bolted to the frame, or a strut tower, with all the paint/rust sanded off so the metal is shiny.

did you try swapping to a known good pair of rca's?

I would say to check your Ohm load. If they're set wrong. Your amp is done. Most kicker amps are only 2ohm stable.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2SVC_4-ohm_4ch.jpg

like this except both positive and negative wires were connected together and put in the amp.

11v? yeah....thats low. the ground has to be bolted to the frame, or a strut tower, with all the paint/rust sanded off so the metal is shiny.

yeah i fixed the ground, and tried different rca's.

I would say to check your Ohm load. If they're set wrong. Your amp is done. Most kicker amps are only 2ohm stable.

http://a248.e.akamai...C_4-ohm_4ch.jpg

like this except both positive and negative wires were connected together and put in the amp.

yeah i fixed the ground, and tried different rca's.

did you fix the ground and try different rca's before or after this problem happened?

Archived