Second Skin Audio

Question About How To Find Port Length

yea i know it sure is debateable, my reasoning is on jlaudio site, it says a wall of the enclosure that is part of the port, in most cases (like simple L ports or T ports) the wall does extend the port, but in this case, if the back enclosure wall does extend the port, then the port would have two different widths, like i stated earlier so, i duno i wish i was a professional box builder to know the answer, or the equipment to test this stuff and figure out the tuning frequency. Like test the frequency with the exact same physical length of the port, but one enclosure like the one shown on the 7th post, and then one similar to the 9th post (referring to the distance from the end of the port to the back wall of the enclosure, that would be the variable in the experiment).

Baylor University

Accounting

yea...there is also a problematic spot i run into when doing "L" ports....like when u extend the port all of the way back that you can before doing the bend...so say ur box is 15" deep internally with a 3"wide port...u would take the wood back 12"....but what if u only want an additional inch of length, regardless of end correction? since u measure down the middle to find length then we have a problem....u see what im saying?

i likes me some audio stuff...

actually i think i know what your saying ill show you a diagram and how i was taught to measure it

30 more seconds....

Edited by Texas Tech

Baylor University

Accounting

enclosureforamatt.jpg

You would measure down the middle, now the wood piece that actually creates the port, it has a thickness, lets say its .5 in. thick. That is still considered port length. that is still measured as physical port. So the physical port length would be 19.5 in. then you would add the end correction being 1.5 in., making the effective port length 21 inches long.

Baylor University

Accounting

k...this might get fuzzy, but here i go..its kinda hard to explain...

if you go by the below pic, what if i just want the additional 1"?

port1.jpg

if you go by this pic, what if i just want it to be 13.5" (the 2.25" in the pic is half the ports width plus the thickness of the wood)

port2.jpg

just seems to be some fuzzy areas that i wish i knew more about....

i likes me some audio stuff...

enclosureforamatt2.jpg

Here it shows, you add 16+1.5(red line)+1.5(green line)+.5(woods thickness, the dark purple line). That is where the physical port length stops. that is 19.5 inches.

Baylor University

Accounting

yea our diagrams are similar, in that the numbers are differnet, but the concept is still the same.

If you want it to be 13.5 you have to adjust your port, or the depth of your box. Make the box deeper, to where the distance from the end of the port to the back wall of the enclosure is longer than your ports width, you would have to adjust your ports width and length and the depth of your enclosure to make it work, or continue with this same concept, and make it work that way.

Baylor University

Accounting