using HD TV as a seperate computer monitor

the tv is a toshiba 50in

the computer is a dell (64 bit)

i really dont know the details bcuz it isnt my computer...im visiting my dad and hes trying to get his v as a 2nd monitor

its worked before bu t he changed something and has no idea what he changed

im wondering if you guys could provide some kind of checklist of possibilities for why this isnt working for him

he uses a one direction HDMI cord to get the job done

hopefully you guys can help

if im not providing enough information just ask

should be just the HDMI then he has to go into his display settings, normally you can find that by right clicking on the desktop and under personalization. Then find monitor settings and it should give you some options for dual monitors. I'm assuming you want to have both monitors on at the same time? if you just want the TV on as the only monitor, it should be a plug and play....

Driving my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 MEGA cab with the 5.7 hemi.

Audio: Two 10" Alpine Type R's ( 1000rms models )

Hifonics BRZ 2400.1D @ .5 ohm

Two Kinetic 1400 batteries ( soon to have XS power under hood )

Tsunami 1/0 Awg wire throughout truck.

Stock Infinity 7 speaker system ( Junk ) soon to be replaced, probably all Alpine.

Exterior: 17"Dick cepek rims with 33" Toyo MT tires

Bushwacker fender flares

Magnaflow true duel exhaust

LED tail lights with Projector headlights

Plasti-dip fun coming soon!

Windows key and P will bring up 4 options to connect to an external screen/projector. Windows can usually do the rest once you tell it which option you want. If it can't figure it out on it's own, you can try adding it manually through Display Settings as adam posted.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

ok so thanks to your help we managed to bring the image to the tv but now instead of just mirroring the same image on two different displays we want to have 2 different displays that work isolated from eachother....no mirroring...but i think its called extending in the settings....but our problem with that is not having a taskbar on the 2nd monitor(toshiba tv) ....do you guy know of a way to bring a second individual taskbar to the television monitor??

you have to set which screen you want as the preferred display while your in the display settings.

Driving my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 MEGA cab with the 5.7 hemi.

Audio: Two 10" Alpine Type R's ( 1000rms models )

Hifonics BRZ 2400.1D @ .5 ohm

Two Kinetic 1400 batteries ( soon to have XS power under hood )

Tsunami 1/0 Awg wire throughout truck.

Stock Infinity 7 speaker system ( Junk ) soon to be replaced, probably all Alpine.

Exterior: 17"Dick cepek rims with 33" Toyo MT tires

Bushwacker fender flares

Magnaflow true duel exhaust

LED tail lights with Projector headlights

Plasti-dip fun coming soon!

Archived