85 chevy elcamino door pod build

well i covered the front side of the other panel today and im in a bite of trouble. the resin dryed really quick and there wasnt enough time for it to soak all the way through the fleece like the other panel. should i be worried? it dryed real hard then i put the second coat on and it also dryed super hard.

Your ambitious and eager to learn so you jumped right in. I like that. But your reading/learning or being told how to do it wrong.

Specifically, you are saying your just resining the fleece. #1, when you use a better material to shape with, you will see that fleece is horrible. It is cheap to buy, but actually cost you more to use in the long run. 2nd, you don't do layers of resin. That does nothing except use more resin. Resin is the most expensive part of fiberglassing. You HAVE to add fiberglass mat for strength.

Fleece is no good IMO. Sure, it is cheap as hell, but it soaks up ALOT of resin. Resin is one of the more expensive items when fiberglassing. So treat it as such.

For stretching material, I use a poly lycra blend that stretches in every direction plus some. I forget the exact name but when I re-up I will get it for ya. It is thicker than a t-shirt. I like it for the stretchiness, it holds shape without sagging like grill cloth and takes very little resin for the base.

People like to cut corners and just resin fleece, do some body work and then wrap or paint it. But I can walk up and push my finger thru it. So it has to vibrate causing cancellation of your speakers and inducing noise to the output (rattling).

Add a few layers of 1.5oz mat. You want to use as little resin as you need. The mat should just become wet and almost transparent. Resin is brittle. Too much resin will make a brittle piece.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

ty for the advice i wasnt aware that the fleece wasnt strong enough i do have to tell you that after everything was dry its real solid ive already layed on filler so im kinda screwed but if i break these door panels the next set i do will have fiberglass on them for sure

It's cool. You know now. We all learn somewhere.

Fleece gives you a false sense of strength. The more it cures over time the more brittle it will come.

Just don't kick it too much and you might be ok....maybe.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

Archived