Sonic Electronix

what should i do? (first build)

first off id like to say that this is my first time ever dealing with car audio, and even wiring and installing electronics.

I purchased 2 rockford fosgate p2d2 subwoofers and i put them into a box(not ported) that crutchfield suggested was the right box. they are 800 watts max output and 400 rms(each) when wired at 2 ohms.

then crutchfield suggested that i purchase some rediculous $500 amp and i told them that i have a tight budget. So i looked around and decided to get a kenwood kac-9105 -d because it was only $150 used and the support guy said that it would work fine.

we have it all installed with 6 gauge wiring, but a stock battery,stock alternator, and no big three upgrade. its not the power draw that im concerned about though. The amp clearly doesnt have enough power for the two subs and cuts out as soon as i turn it up. when i wired just one of the subs to it though it has enough power and rattles the entire car.

so my question is what should i do? im really money limited,

so should i sell both subs and the box and buy a single sub?

should i get a better amp?

would my car be able to support a 1600 watt amp? 2003 honda accord.

im looking for any answers really, id appreciate past experiences or suggestions because i feel like i wasted my money.

if you have any questions id be glad to answer them.

thanks

I had a 9105d, I had it wired to 1ohm for 6 months or so, As long as i didn't clip it would bang all day no problem. I think your gain is probably too high or you are using bass boost.

Are you using bass boost?

I also ran 4ga wire to mine not 6ga.

You will have some members telling you to find someone with a dd-1 or o-scope to set your gains, so do that if you can.

Make sure the amp has good airflow too.

i have them wired to 2 ohms.

and there isnt a gain nob. not sure what the filter is? there was a nob that makes it so the sub doesnt go below a certain frequencie. is that it?

i have the bass boost turned up on my radio but not on the amp. i may change the wiring, 6 was all we had at the time

there is plenty of airflow. i put the rear seat down and usually have a window open. i dont get that cold haha.

and ya i accidently double posted this topic because the website was really slow. its fine. and please excuse my typing and spelling.

The "Gain" knob is labeled "input sensitivity"

Set the LPF to about 80hz , at least under 100hz so you keep the vocals out of your subs. make sure the bass boost is off.

I can post a pic if you want of the "gain" control.

Archived