Just some noob questions but I'm no dummy

ModestDb

I'm going to be realistic and not jack around here. I humbly request a little advice. I don't need to be bashed just respect that the equipment I am using is just that, it's what I'm using. I'm not here for suggestions of better equipment.

So here is what I have. 1995 Toyota Camry 4 door model.

In the trunk is a custom professionally built 3 cubic foot vented enclosure tuned at 41hz because its what I asked for at the time for all around playing (just a number I saw online in a few places before I knew enough to make that decision). It is 3/4 mdf and 1 inch mdf face with a 4 way brace. It is 3 cubes after deducting for sub displacement and brace.

In that box is an American Bass XFL 15 4 ohm. Yes just one.

For power supply I am running 2 sound storm laboratories evolution 4000 amps strapped with a final impedance of 2.1 ohms. Even at only 60% efficiency they should in theory provide enough power together for one xfl and they do seem to thus far.They were cheap on eBay and honestly they're doing work and never seem to get warm. I have them stacked on top of one another mounted below my seat. Why? Because I planned on them getting warm and there is a vent that comes out in the floor board that would allow me to turn on the ac to cool them. Did my theory work? Yes. They just never get warm in the first place. Good idea maybe but doesn't look like I will truly find out.

I have an autozone dura laugh <-----haha battery under the hood and a duralast professional series 800 cca battery inline to the amps.

On an impulse buy instead of being patient and buying 0 gauge wiring I bought two 4 gauge kits. I have two runs of 4 gauge from main batt to aux batt. Two runs of 4 gauge to both amp positives and two runs of 4 gauge to amp negatives as well as two runs of 4 gauge from aux battery to ground. Have I done the big 3? Nope. Upgraded alternator? Nope. It's just where I'm at right now. Soon enough just bare with me.

So, with all that crap I listed above, my windshield flexes a good bit. 1/4 inch maybe? Everything shakes, oooo wow right? So now for the questions now that you hopefully know what I'm working with.

41 hz, yeah It hits hard, ears tickle, feel it in the chest like a hard punchy bass. I want a deeper bass. Good low notes. Is 41 too high a tune? Before the XFL I had one type r 15 and only one ssl evo 4000 and the low was great but wasnt loud enough. I think I'm more of an spl guy but can't I still play low without sacrificing a lot of loud play?

Example. With the type r I could play Gucci mane "swang my doors" or "stink finger" by flux pavillion and the low was incredible sounding. Now swang my doors just won't even get played because I can't get that low. Sounds like the sub is begging for more power I guess. Can the tune of my enclosure be altered to get low again or will I be sacrificing a lot of good loud playing by changing it? Or is the XFL just the wrong way to go when trying to get low?

If changing the XFL is my only option I will keep what I have but if the box can done over to get lower then I'm open to a suggested tune.

Sorry for the long first post. Thanks guys.

Humbly yours,

Austin from Kentucky

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

1. This is SMD, we do not flame or bash unless you are a dick, look at this site like a bunch of acquaintances! :D

2. With your box being tuned to 41, its not gonna slam the lows, it will pick some of them up, but wont make you be like 'damn son'

3.if you didnt want to change your box completely, add on to your port a little and tune it down to like 33-36. But you need to know how much to add on, http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com/HowTo-1Woofer-Box-CAL%20Port%20lenth%201.htm

4.welcome to the forum!!!

I will measure my port area tomorrow morning when I have daylight to see and get back to you guys. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I read a few threads here linked by google and often times someone was getting flamed for comments that I wouldn't necessarily consider being a "dick" per se. Granted I don't know their history with the forums so maybe they did ultimately deserve it. Anyway, thanks for not bending me over and reaming me for my equipment.

Since we are on the subject of spl what do you think is a reasonable expectation if I were to get metered currently? 130's feasible?

If I tuned to say 34 or 36 would my db level go up or down? Am I correct in my thinking that high spl is actually a hard note and sq is more of the low notes or is there a grey area where a low note can generate quite a bit on an spl meter? I know electronics, wiring, just about anything automotive repair related but discussion on building enclosures and audio decibel levels eludes me.

I'm not trying to enter any contests just looking to optimize at a minimal expense ie enclosure modification.

I understand why trial and error would be needed. It's all good. Thanks for being honest that's all I want.

So a lower tune would get me my lows back. Okay. Ill get my port area tomorrow like I said and ill check that calculator you linked me to as well. Thanks again for reading and responding with honesty. I might hang around here for a while after all.

Port is 3 inches wide at 16.5 inches top to bottom. The port wall runs 15 inches deep into the box.

The box is 31 inches long by 18 inches top to bottom tall and 19 inches deep from sub surface mount to the back of the box. Vent/port is coming from the side of the box not the same surface as the sub. Is that clear? If not i can take pictures or draw you guys a diagram.

Okay the math is right my info was wrong. It's not a 3ft box after all. I got 4.859 cubes figuring my dimensions minus thickness of wood which I did verify the material and thickness when the box was finished. So at 4.859 cubes am I really tuned at 41 hz?

Archived