"Guess I Got My Voltage Back", "Guess I Got My Voltage Back"

For the past several months I've had a low voltage issue with my car. With the car off the battery would sit at a low 11.9-12.1 Volts, being an Optima YellowTop that's obviously way too low. One night after re-adjusting my gains to the -5db track with the DD-1 I was slamming full tilt for about 15 minutes on a drive to Maccas. I turned off the car and returned to it later when I found there was a slight difficulty starting which I figured was understandable since I've only got 1 battery and an upgraded alternator. But I looked at my volt meter which read only 12v, as if the alternator had stopped producing voltage.

Here's where the diagnostics began...

I swapped out the alternator with my old one which proceeded to do exactly the same thing. I then I thought damn maybe I've killed my battery. But after having it tested at a battery shop it came out fine. Also the car would have no problem at all starting even with the low voltage and I couldn't really tell but the stereo sounded about the same volume as far as I could tell. So for several months I went on assuming the $20 Chinese volt meter was faulty.

BUT tonight I decided I'd re-do all my ground connections starting at the back. I shaved back the paint and used spring washers to keep it in place. This did nothing which was disappointing since I found the old ground to be loose. Then I took out the alternator and cleaned up the connection between the alt and the mount on the engine which also did nothing.

HERE is what fixed it...

The alternator has like a negative post which has a nut connected onto it and a metal connector which appears to lead back to the negative of the battery. But I realized the damn thing was just a clip that held the factory + wire in place (I keep the factory + connector as well as the 0 gauge). So it turned out my alternator was only able to pass ground through the engine ground which appeared to be good. But it wasn't, I cleaned the connector and put everything back together and just like that I'm charging at about 14.9-15v. I also now notice a considerable difference in volume from the sub now. So long story short check your grounds if you are having voltage issues.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to go on for so long it just happened somehow.

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

I'm glad you got that fixed. That had to be a pain in the dick for months!

Grounds are important:)

Me too I even checked it again today to check it was still working and it is. I finally feel like cleaning up my wiring now/.

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

Archived