MonkeyBoy Posted February 1, 2013 Report Posted February 1, 2013 I run Polk DXI 6.5" components up front in my Trooper and through failures and warranty exchanges of the midbass drivers, I've ended up with a spare set of tweeters and crossovers. I have acquired a Toyota Corolla that I need to put speakers in and was wondering if I could buy a set of 4" midbass and use them with the spare DXI set of crossovers and tweeters without issue. If so, what 4" drivers would y'all suggest? Also, the 6.5" midbass on my currently installed set arre failing again, would you guys suggest to go through wararranty again or give in and replace them with a different type of midbass driver. If the latter, what'd y'all suggest for those? BTW, I'm powering the Toyota 4" speakers off a deck, and the Trooper off of a 75W RSMx4 amp. 1996 Trooper LS 4X4 3.2L SOHC - Pioneer Head Unit, Big 3 Upgrade, Knuconceptz 1/0 Wiring, Polk 6X9's in the rear doors, Polk 6.5" Front Components, Coustic 4ch 1200W Amp, Rockford Fosgate R1000-R1 Sub Amp, Diamond Audio D912D4 12" Sub, Sub Zero 12" Vented Box, Airtec Snorkel - 6000K BiXenon HIDs - 16x7.5" Snowflakes - ARB Front Winch Bumper - Vortex 12000lb Winch - Superwinch Manual Hubs - 3" lift OME 919's + Coil Spacer -OME Nitrochargers - HD Lower Links - Front Control Arm Low Profile Droop Snubbers - Poly SwayBar Bushings - Ball Joint Flip + 1/4" Spacers.
Kevin M Posted February 2, 2013 Report Posted February 2, 2013 Before you replace anything else I would identify why the midbass are failing. I would say overpowering but if the tweets are fine I would say it is something else. Where are they located? How are they mounted? How are they failing? A crossover will work for a different driver but it isn't designed for it so it could be bad or good. Have to try and see. Here is a couple 4" to look at... http://www.parts-express.com/cat/woofers/15?kg=497|3915 2005 Ford Focus zx4 AMT's and Planars 18" Infinite baffle
MonkeyBoy Posted February 2, 2013 Author Report Posted February 2, 2013 The only thing I can think of is I listen to my music too loud! They're all in correct phase, and this last set (have gone through two sets prior) have lasted the longest by a multiple of about 3, I believe due to the fact that I changed my HPF from 80hz (first set) to 100hz (second set), then to 125hz for this last set. I'd say about 50% of the time I'm in the truck alone the system is at full volume and I'll actually crank it a tad past sometimes when I'm really into the song. I'm sure it's my fault because of that. They're mounted in the factory location at the kick bottom corners of the front doors with the tweeters in the A pillars, crossovers glued to the inside of the door panels. Should I just spring for a better set of 6.5 midbass? I'm thinking that might be what's needed due to the fact that I'll turn it up to where they distort, not the amp or the deck. The tweeters have yet to distort on me, I've been highly impressed with them. Thank you for the link BTW!! Edit* I do see however the speakers in the link are for home audio. Does that make a difference anymore? If not I must have been out of the game for too long! 1996 Trooper LS 4X4 3.2L SOHC - Pioneer Head Unit, Big 3 Upgrade, Knuconceptz 1/0 Wiring, Polk 6X9's in the rear doors, Polk 6.5" Front Components, Coustic 4ch 1200W Amp, Rockford Fosgate R1000-R1 Sub Amp, Diamond Audio D912D4 12" Sub, Sub Zero 12" Vented Box, Airtec Snorkel - 6000K BiXenon HIDs - 16x7.5" Snowflakes - ARB Front Winch Bumper - Vortex 12000lb Winch - Superwinch Manual Hubs - 3" lift OME 919's + Coil Spacer -OME Nitrochargers - HD Lower Links - Front Control Arm Low Profile Droop Snubbers - Poly SwayBar Bushings - Ball Joint Flip + 1/4" Spacers.
MonkeyBoy Posted February 2, 2013 Author Report Posted February 2, 2013 The amp powering them is a Coustic (Older one) 1200w, don't remember the model but it puts out 75wRMSx4 @4ohm, 150RMSx4 @2ohms. 1996 Trooper LS 4X4 3.2L SOHC - Pioneer Head Unit, Big 3 Upgrade, Knuconceptz 1/0 Wiring, Polk 6X9's in the rear doors, Polk 6.5" Front Components, Coustic 4ch 1200W Amp, Rockford Fosgate R1000-R1 Sub Amp, Diamond Audio D912D4 12" Sub, Sub Zero 12" Vented Box, Airtec Snorkel - 6000K BiXenon HIDs - 16x7.5" Snowflakes - ARB Front Winch Bumper - Vortex 12000lb Winch - Superwinch Manual Hubs - 3" lift OME 919's + Coil Spacer -OME Nitrochargers - HD Lower Links - Front Control Arm Low Profile Droop Snubbers - Poly SwayBar Bushings - Ball Joint Flip + 1/4" Spacers.
Kevin M Posted February 2, 2013 Report Posted February 2, 2013 I use home audio speakers and they work just fine. The midbass use the lions share of the power in the crossover. If you are turning them up till they distort maybe you shouldn't do that. Lol. If you are not getting enough volume you should look at multiple woofers. When you push speakers till they distort they overheat and eventually will fail. Where do you have the gain set on the amplifier? 2005 Ford Focus zx4 AMT's and Planars 18" Infinite baffle
Guest Posted February 2, 2013 Report Posted February 2, 2013 so you want to get more speakers to keep clipping to death. solve the underlying issue, then you wont have to keep pissing money away on speakers. you're going to have to crossover those 4's at like 125hz and at LEAST a 12db slope.
MonkeyBoy Posted February 2, 2013 Author Report Posted February 2, 2013 Gain on the amp is about 3/4, I don't have a distortion detector nor do I have access to one, however the sound is crystal clear up until the speakers distort, not the amp or deck that I can tell. I can usually tell the difference. Yes, I know, I shouldn't turn it up that high, but when that song comes on and you're in the mood.... Hahahah! Thanks for the info on the 4" cut frequency, I'll likely havve a small sub in the toyota... Does it matter what impedence woofer I run if going through a crossover? I'd think it would but I could be wrong. 1996 Trooper LS 4X4 3.2L SOHC - Pioneer Head Unit, Big 3 Upgrade, Knuconceptz 1/0 Wiring, Polk 6X9's in the rear doors, Polk 6.5" Front Components, Coustic 4ch 1200W Amp, Rockford Fosgate R1000-R1 Sub Amp, Diamond Audio D912D4 12" Sub, Sub Zero 12" Vented Box, Airtec Snorkel - 6000K BiXenon HIDs - 16x7.5" Snowflakes - ARB Front Winch Bumper - Vortex 12000lb Winch - Superwinch Manual Hubs - 3" lift OME 919's + Coil Spacer -OME Nitrochargers - HD Lower Links - Front Control Arm Low Profile Droop Snubbers - Poly SwayBar Bushings - Ball Joint Flip + 1/4" Spacers.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.