Sundown Audio

First post here so please don't slam me if I am out of line or downright noobish lol. I have been in love with car audio since I was I got my first car back in 1994.

I currently have a 2007 tacoma with this box in it.. http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/7700433/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

I know it isn't custom and probably isn't that good, but it is what I currently have. I also have a Kicker 500.1 running 2 no name shallow mount 10s and a Kicker 300.2 running Alpine components in the front doors and 6.5s in the rear doors.

It sounds GREAT to my untrained ear in terms of sound quality but it isn't loud. It lacks when things get below 45HZ or so, but handles most music pretty nice.

I am considering swapping out my two crap 10s (boss shallowmounts) with a pair of SD-2 10s. It seems like they would fit, I was just wondering whether it is worth the $300 for them, and whether it would be very loud when combined with my kicker 500.1 in the above mentioned box.

I realize that no one can give me termlab results without metering it lol, and that "loud" is a relative term. For me, my previous loudest system was 2 alpine type-r 12s with a ported box running on the alpine 500W monoblock amp. I hit 138 with that and felt it was pretty loud lol. I know I can't expect big numbers for little dollars, so I am just trying to find something in the 135-140db range without spending too much.

Do you see any possibility of achieving this with those subs, that box and that amp, or am I just dreaming? Again, I am just looking for thoughts from people who know more than I do (which is most of you I imagine). Thanks!

Nick

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

The subs are part of the problem but that box will be your major drawback if you not getting "loud". Not to mention you will be under powering the SD2 10s with that 500.1.

VbjgkeI.jpg

F6CNB9e.jpg
Team Sundown Audio / Team XS Power / Team SHOK

SMD Super Buyer/Seller

www.sundownaudio.com

www.shokindustries.com

www.4xspower.com

www.excessiveamperage.com

My wife works at Bestbuy so the amp situation I could fix. I can get the Kicker 1000.1 for about 1/2 price, I just went with the 500.1 because I was buying cheap subs.

I have looked at trying to find/build a better box but that is a super odd shape/limited space and I just don't know what else to do back there that will be much better. If anyone has built a box for a tacoma doublecab please let me know. I have 2 kids that occasionally ride with me so I have to leave the back seats alone.

Fortunately the box is sealed pretty well and actually doesn't leak (at least with what I am running right now). I have felt all around it with the system on and can't find any air leaks at all.

Also, would it make sense for me to port the box? I have looked at some port calculators and it seems like I could do a lot better with lower freqs if I did.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

i know someone who has 3 12" sealed in his tacoma behind his rear seat.

he fiberglassed the rear wall and built the box off of that.

i think you can easily build a box for two ported tens @ 2cf which is fine for the sd-10s

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

So that would be 1cf per sub right? I noticed that the sundown website recommends .5 sealed and 1 ported. But I imagine the .5cf is the smallest recommended? Would you suggest individual chambers, or just a single 2cf enclosure? Thanks for your advice on that, I am gonna measure that and see what I get into. Now... if anyone in North Carolina has experience with fiberglass, I would love to chat lol. I don't want to flat out pay for a box, but I would pay for some help.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

I'm in pretty much the same boat you are. I have a crew cab silverado with a box that goes behind the rear seats, very little room to play with. I'm in the process of selling my old system, kicker dx1000.1 and 2 kicker cvr's. I'm looking to upgrade to the sd-10's as well. Would love to seem some feedback on the subs on this thread.

Yeah, i am sort of hoping someone describes the potential. I will probably end up building a ported box and trying them out, but I am very much on the cheap side of things and another $600 for subs and box supplies is only going to be worth it to me if there is a good chance I will be able to at least get into the upper 130s or lower 140s, I have an 06 scion xb that I will put them in if for some reason it doesn't work out in the truck though lol. The Scion is easy to get loud for cheap. Hit 138 for about $550 last time I messed with it. Of course a lot of people here have spare parts that get louder than that lol. But for me in the truck 140 is the goal, I am just not sure how to get there.

I think the sd-2 subs should be capable of that, and I think the Kicker 1000.1 would be enough power, but the question is whether I can build the right box.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

Wheres it going? Max dimensions?

in a million, trillion, kabillion years,i would never play that song in my ride. I don't care if its clipped or not LOL. I feel like my nads got clipped after playing this for 15 seconds just to see what it was LOL.

No thanks bro. Not into it.

It is going behind the seat of a 2007 tacoma double cab. It has to be a wedge shaped box. In the link below I can eliminate most of the notch by removing the child seat latches. The width is 29", if possible it would be nice to stop the box at the 9 3/8" mark to take the notch out of play since it feels like the top portion is wasted airspace. However, if it is needed I can use it. I would imagine that I can hold the depth of the notch to about 3/4" instead of the 1 1/2" listed. Thanks in advance for anyone that is willing to take a look at this.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=toyota+tacoma+sub+box+dimensions&ri=2&tab=organic&ri=2

I have also seen where people buiild 2 seperate boxes that are 17 5/8" wide (depth/height as described above with notch) but I would rather go with 1 29" box so i could use the other area for an amp rack.

Edited by ncochran

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log