Sundown Audio

My boxes for 2 Sundown SD-2 12's too small?

Ok I bought 2 Sundown SD-2 12's for my 95 Regular Cab Dodge Ram 1500. I did separate prefab boxes (one behind each seat) and I'm not pleased. I am planning on building some boxes built to Sundown specs 1.0 Cubic Feet per sub. If I build a box closer to Sundowns specs will it be much better than what I have them in now---prefab. I think it is like .65 cu feet right now, for each sub. I got 550 watts RMS running to each of them right now. 1100 watts RMS total

Edited by ZDudas

A custom box is almost always going to sound better then prefab.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

If you make a custom box to specs from the company then it will be your best option :drink40:

The spot with least resistance LOL.

I would ground to a rubber dildo if it had less resistance than a run of 4/0 wiring.

how many poeple work there 3 or 4 lol

At crescendo HQ? probably 2-3

At the sweatshop in china? 30,000 children

No Engine

Make sure when you make your box(s), presuming that you make sealed boxes, 1.1 cubic feet total to make up for the driver displacement. Or 2.2 cubic feet if you put both in the same box.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

I'm doing 2 separate boxes. One behind each seat. The way I got the design right now the new boxes will have 1.06 cu ft each. Width-21 inches Depth-8 inches Height-15

I checked on Rockford Fosgate box wizard and it said that those dimensions will give me 1.06 cu ft. Will that be good enough, or do I need to try and make it a little bit bigger. Building out of 5/8 mdf. Building boxes Friday night.

You should be fine with those dimensions. Having a single cab myself I know how hard it is to make boxes bigger to fit back in that small of a space.

If you make your own box you'll get a much better overall sound. Get those SD-2 12's and put them in there on a good amp and you'll be more then satisfied with the results.

Even if you don't get a new amp you'll notice a huge difference in the quality of the bass your getting. But if you do get one make sure you do some research on the electrical stuff you need to do to stay safe. There are plenty of thread on hear to help you out, and if you ever get lost or need some clarification don't hesitate to ask for help. The people hear will always try to help you and get everything done right.

Edited by Chase Rowlett