Electro-Voice zx5 Speakers: Good Choice for Mains?

Not sure how many Pro Audio guys are here but currently I own four Electro-Voice SX100+ Speakers which work well for mains but it's impractical to use all 4 at events. I've come accross a used pair of Electro-Voice ZX5 speakers, I used to own a pair of zx4 speakers which I absolutely loved and regret selling they could just be so loud and so clear so I suppose the newer zx5's would be even better.

My other choice would be a pair of Tour X 12" speakers. The two speakers I can get for about the same price.

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

Not sure how many Pro Audio guys are here but currently I own four Electro-Voice SX100+ Speakers which work well for mains but it's impractical to use all 4 at events. I've come accross a used pair of Electro-Voice ZX5 speakers, I used to own a pair of zx4 speakers which I absolutely loved and regret selling they could just be so loud and so clear so I suppose the newer zx5's would be even better.

My other choice would be a pair of Tour X 12" speakers. The two speakers I can get for about the same price.

The ZX's are supposed to be a step up from what I have now (ELX series). I'd say go with it if you're getting a good deal.

POTATO!

The ZX's are supposed to be a step up from what I have now (ELX series). I'd say go with it if you're getting a good deal.

Cool you've got the Live X Series? What do you think of them I wasn't sure what kind of performance you get out of them being a Chinese made cabinet. The Tour X Series are the step up from the Live X Series but I don't know if the zx Series are a step up from the Tour X Series.

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

at the moment i cant fault their products, I just purchased a warfdale rig and I like it, so if warfdale can put out something good im sure their product will be fine,

Personally i would go for the zx5's but they might be too big for what your looking for, ether of them will be good cabs for sure.

the zx's are bi amp-able as wel if im not mistaken, which could be a benefit to you? im not sure what type or scale events you do or amps you have avaliable

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

at the moment i cant fault their products, I just purchased a warfdale rig and I like it, so if warfdale can put out something good im sure their product will be fine,

Personally i would go for the zx5's but they might be too big for what your looking for, ether of them will be good cabs for sure.

the zx's are bi amp-able as wel if im not mistaken, which could be a benefit to you? im not sure what type or scale events you do or amps you have avaliable

Ahh I was hoping to get a response from you RCP I know your one of the people on here who are really in to Pro Audio as well as Car Audio. I'm going with the zx5's. I can get a pair almost new still in warranty in original Ev cases for $1500. I may use the bi-amp function at some point and I like having it there.

What do you mean too big? I mean their only a 15" cab, sure their bigger than the Tour X's and my Ev SX100+'s but I've had Ev zx4's before and they were a good size.

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

the reason i said too big was that many people prefer the sound of 12's compared to 15's and not knowing what your application is I wasnt sure if they are going to be beaten to hell by bands of used for acoustic bands in a cafe klnda thing which a 15 would be neccesary and there is a chance the 12 would preform better in that situation.

Im glad you went the the zx's though, good decision

I also see you grabbed a couple of subs so your looking good as far as gear goes (except for some more amps in the future so you can use the 1000's as monitors or what ever at the same time)

what console have you got?

Ryan

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

the reason i said too big was that many people prefer the sound of 12's compared to 15's and not knowing what your application is I wasnt sure if they are going to be beaten to hell by bands of used for acoustic bands in a cafe klnda thing which a 15 would be neccesary and there is a chance the 12 would preform better in that situation.

Im glad you went the the zx's though, good decision

I also see you grabbed a couple of subs so your looking good as far as gear goes (except for some more amps in the future so you can use the 1000's as monitors or what ever at the same time)

what console have you got?

Ryan

They will actually be mainly for music so I think 15's will be best. I don't have the subs yet their just the ones I want.

I'm sure you'll laugh when you hear I'm running all this from a Behringer Xenyx Mixer, thats next on the list to upgrade.

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

everyone starts somewhere...

i wont hate

I started out on a Xenyx 802 mixer for DJ gigs. It got the job done until I could upgrade to my Mackie 1604-VLZ3, and now on my Presonus 24.4.2 (soon to get a 32.4.2AI). EV has never really made a bad product, people praise the ZX series for their sheer volume. They can get louder than the ELX's from what I've heard, and sound a bit similar. They're great little cabinets, the few times I have heard them I've been impressed.

POTATO!

We presonus. Hahahaha nah mike get the behringer!

Archived